programs for a newbe

Post by Dan » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I downloaded xisp for redhat ver. 5.2
I got it unziped
but now i dont know what to do with it.
I think i mite need to use the make command
when double clicking on it it doesint do anything
its not a tar file

programs for a newbe

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I downloaded xisp for redhat ver. 5.2
> I got it unziped

How do you know that the file is unzipped ?

Quote:> when double clicking on it it doesint do anything
> its not a tar file

Obviously you have to go to 'console' mode:
(if you're under a graphical manager, you can
press Ctrl-Alt-Fx , where Fx: F1, F2, F3,...)
(you can go back to graphical: Alt-F7)

Do you know where the file is ?
If yes, go to that directory (cd /where/the/file).

List the files in that directory (ls -l) to see,
if the file is executable or not. (at the beginning of the line
has it some 'x' ?)

You can do a closer look with the command 'file':
file *  (give it in that directory).

The 'file' command will tell, if the file is executable,
tar, zip, ... whatever... kind.

--
Mihaly Gyulai

http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Newbe Q, Need printer accounting program suggestion...

Hi,

I'm looking for a program that will count and bill for pages run
through all our networked printers.  We are running jetadmin on a
solaris 2.5.1 (soon to be upgraded) and I think the solaris lp spooler
(tell me how to check that and I'll reply here w/info).

Regardless, my predecessor had written a Perl script about 5 years ago
and things have changed enough that it is no longer feasible to
continue with it.  Any suggestions - ideas - help will be greatly
appreciated!

2. Cleveland Ohio area setup needed

3. "Mary had a neat program...neat program...neat program...

4. Why doesn't mod_perl install on Apache_1.3.14?

5. Linux newbe help with ATI AIW128

6. Wordperfect printer drivers

7. Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

8. How to set up an ftp server?

9. Solaris vs NT from a newbe

10. Newbe (well thinking about Linux)

11. Newbe RH 6.1 Setup Questions