KDE 2.1 Control Center - no icons

Post by William B. Cattel » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:21:16

Yo all;

I have recently installed XFree 4.0.3 and KDE 2.1 on a Mandrake 7.2
system (kernel 2.2.17).  I did this on my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop and
my AMD K2-350 clone desktop.  The icons in KDE's Control Center show up
fine on the desktop but they're gone on the laptop.

I'm trying to find [where] the directory / file is that has the
information and a way to put them back out there.  I've been comparing
the two systems for a week but cannot find the differences.  RTFM'ing
hasn't helped either.

Any ideas where to look for the information?

TIA,

Bill

--

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it

KDE 2.1 Control Center - no icons

Post by Kwan Low » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:19:17

Quote:> Yo all;
> I have recently installed XFree 4.0.3 and KDE 2.1 on a Mandrake 7.2
> system (kernel 2.2.17).  I did this on my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop and
> my AMD K2-350 clone desktop.  The icons in KDE's Control Center show up
> fine on the desktop but they're gone on the laptop.
> I'm trying to find [where] the directory / file is that has the
> information and a way to put them back out there.  I've been comparing
> the two systems for a week but cannot find the differences.  RTFM'ing
> hasn't helped either.

Have you tried running update-menus? Drop into init 3 first then run it.

As a last resort you might try copying the /etc/skel/.kde and .kderc to your
home directory (it will overwrite your settings though).

KDE 2.1 Control Center - no icons

Post by William B. Cattel » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 06:49:02

I finally found the solution - I copied the /usr/share/apps and
/usr/share/apps.kdelnk directories over from the working machine.
Everything is running normal again.

Bill

>> Yo all;

>> I have recently installed XFree 4.0.3 and KDE 2.1 on a Mandrake 7.2
>> system (kernel 2.2.17).  I did this on my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop and
>> my AMD K2-350 clone desktop.  The icons in KDE's Control Center show up
>> fine on the desktop but they're gone on the laptop.

>> I'm trying to find [where] the directory / file is that has the
>> information and a way to put them back out there.  I've been comparing
>> the two systems for a week but cannot find the differences.  RTFM'ing
>> hasn't helped either.

> Have you tried running update-menus? Drop into init 3 first then run it.

> As a last resort you might try copying the /etc/skel/.kde and .kderc to
> your  home directory (it will overwrite your settings though).

--

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

1. Upgrade to KDE 3.0.2 and now no Icons or Control Center

I just installed KDE 3.0.2 from the RPM's on a Mandrake 8.2 system.  When I
lauch KDE 3 from KDM there is no splash screen but KDE  3 does start.
However there are no icons at all anywhere.  None on the desktop, none on
the kicker panel, none in the menu none anywhere.  I also am unable to run
the Mandrake Control Center from the menu so I am unable to install themes,
etc... If anyone has had this problem or can lead me in the direction of a
fix, please let me know.

craig p

2. curses (the library)

3. RH7 & KDE 2.1 upgrade, No icons in kde menu

4. Gnome 1.053, KDE 1.1.2 ports conflicts with old versions (maybe) solved

5. KDE control center not working in KDE 3.0.3

6. NCFTP

7. Wrong version of KDE shown on KDE Control Center

8. problem with xmatrox.rpm for XFree86

9. Help - my Control Center icons are gone! :(

10. KDE 2.1 Menus and Desktop Icons

11. KDE 2.1- can't creat a program icon

12. No icons on KDE 2.1

13. Disappearing KDE Control Center Modules