Wanted - 8 port serial board

Post by Chuck Lidderdal » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 05:42:33

I want to put a 8 port serial board in a 486 that will work
with Linux.  Any suggestion?

Thanks - Chuck

Wanted - 8 port serial board

Post by Dave Dunwoodi » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:23:43

Quote:> I want to put a 8 port serial board in a 486 that will work
> with Linux.  Any suggestion?

> Thanks - Chuck

Please check my postings in comp.os.linux.help.

What I arrived at was the Cyclades product.  115.2, 8-ports.  If full
RS-232, $199.  If partial (RJ-14), $99.  Uses 1 interrupt per card,
max. 4 cards per system.  Product is available in 8 or 16 port versions,
for a max. of 64 ports per box.

Use a recent Linux release and just enable Cyclades during the build.

Be aware, if you're looking for multi-port intelligent I/O with
SUSTAINED throughput capability, this product is not for you.  It
degrades as a function of active ports/loads.  If you need sustained
115.2 or 230.4 capability on all ports, you need to examine the
RocketPort product from Comtrol.  Problem is that they do not yet
offer a Linux driver, and Linux does not yet support the Comtrol
product line.

Good Luck!

Dave.

Dave Dunwoodie
Senior Systems Analyst
U.S. Bureau of Land Management

Wanted - 8 port serial board

Post by Vidur Dhand » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 16:27:26

> > I want to put a 8 port serial board in a 486 that will work
> > with Linux.  Any suggestion?

> > Thanks - Chuck

> Please check my postings in comp.os.linux.help.

> What I arrived at was the Cyclades product.  115.2, 8-ports.  If full
> RS-232, $199.  If partial (RJ-14), $99.  Uses 1 interrupt per card,
> max. 4 cards per system.  Product is available in 8 or 16 port versions,
> for a max. of 64 ports per box.

> Use a recent Linux release and just enable Cyclades during the build.

> Be aware, if you're looking for multi-port intelligent I/O with
> SUSTAINED throughput capability, this product is not for you.  It
> degrades as a function of active ports/loads.  If you need sustained
> 115.2 or 230.4 capability on all ports, you need to examine the
> RocketPort product from Comtrol.  Problem is that they do not yet
> offer a Linux driver, and Linux does not yet support the Comtrol
> product line.

> Good Luck!

> Dave.

> Dave Dunwoodie
> Senior Systems Analyst
> U.S. Bureau of Land Management

If this the way to go if one wants to have multiple modems attached
to the box?
Thans,
Vidur