Using tar over samba.

Post by MattSta » Sat, 04 May 2002 22:19:15

[Apologies if this post comes through a few times; I've been having
problems with my news server].

Hi,

I'm using tar on Linux (Redhat 7.2, Kernel 2.4.7-10) to backup files
which are on my Windows 2000 machine over a Samba share.

In other words something like this:

tar -cvf cprogs-tar-file-on-linux /share/Win2kC/CPROGS
or to tape:
tar -cvf /dev/tape /share/Win2kC/CPROGS

This mostly seems to work fine except I get the occasional error
message:

"tar: file-path-and-name: file changed as we read it"
The archiving then continues and I get another error at the end:
"tar: Error exit delayed from previous error"
Presumably this 2nd error is just warning me of the earlier errors.

I get the same 'file changed' error at the approx. frequency of 1 file
in 100 when creating the archive. The problem is the files the error
happens with seem random, they include .txt, .html and non-system dll
files and none of these files are in use when the error occurs.

Any insight into why this is happening would be greatly appreciated. I
have no idea whether this is a samba problem or a tar problem.

Regards,

..matthew

Using tar over samba.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 04 May 2002 22:29:28

Quote:> "tar: file-path-and-name: file changed as we read it"
> The archiving then continues and I get another error at the end:
> "tar: Error exit delayed from previous error"
> Presumably this 2nd error is just warning me of the earlier errors.
> Any insight into why this is happening would be greatly appreciated. I
> have no idea whether this is a samba problem or a tar problem.

I presume it's detected a change in one of atime, mtime, or ctime.
This could be a clock problem. Or just that files at the other end
don't have meaningful attributes in those areas. Anyway, you really
want to talk to the tar people about it .. if you can make them squawk.

Peter

Using tar over samba.

Post by MattSta » Sun, 05 May 2002 01:26:43

If that's all it is then there's no big deal from my point of view
purhaps if I sync my Linux box system time from my Win 2k box then the
error will go away. Still I'll email the tar people anyway.

Thanks Peter.

..matthew

> > "tar: file-path-and-name: file changed as we read it"
> > The archiving then continues and I get another error at the end:
> > "tar: Error exit delayed from previous error"
> > Presumably this 2nd error is just warning me of the earlier errors.

> > Any insight into why this is happening would be greatly appreciated. I
> > have no idea whether this is a samba problem or a tar problem.

> I presume it's detected a change in one of atime, mtime, or ctime.
> This could be a clock problem. Or just that files at the other end
> don't have meaningful attributes in those areas. Anyway, you really
> want to talk to the tar people about it .. if you can make them squawk.

> Peter

Using tar over samba.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sun, 05 May 2002 03:11:42

> [Apologies if this post comes through a few times; I've been having
> problems with my news server].

> Hi,

> I'm using tar on Linux (Redhat 7.2, Kernel 2.4.7-10) to backup files
> which are on my Windows 2000 machine over a Samba share.

> In other words something like this:

> tar -cvf cprogs-tar-file-on-linux /share/Win2kC/CPROGS
> or to tape:
> tar -cvf /dev/tape /share/Win2kC/CPROGS

Have you looked into smbtar?  From its manpage:

"smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1)
which dumps SMB shares directly to tape."

I don't use Samba myself so I don't know much about it, but
it would seem that smbtar's existence implies that plain tar
is inadequate/inappropriate for use with SMB shares.

Using tar over samba.

Post by MattSta » Wed, 08 May 2002 03:01:12

Quote:> Have you looked into smbtar?  From its manpage:

> "smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1)
> which dumps SMB shares directly to tape."

> I don't use Samba myself so I don't know much about it, but
> it would seem that smbtar's existence implies that plain tar
> is inadequate/inappropriate for use with SMB shares.

I had not heard of smbtar, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I'll look into it right now.

Thanks and regards,

..matthew