install Linux on 486 system with no CDROM drive

install Linux on 486 system with no CDROM drive

Post by Jim Buchan » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I would like to install Linux on a 486 system that has no CDROM drive.
: I have a Laptop with CDROM drive and a Slackware CDROM. Are there any
: possibilities to do this?

If both machines have ethernet cards, I'd try an ftp install.

If not, I think that the directories that slackware stores its
installation files in are kept small enough to fit onto floppies. You
could use the laptop to transfer them to floppies for installation on
the 486.

Another option would be to buy a CDROM drive. If you hunt around a
while, you can sometimes find them *really* cheap these days, at least
in the US.

--

================= http://members.iquest.net/~jbuchana ====================
"Where...the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30

1. Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

I have got myself RedHat 4.1 from the Infomagic CDROM. I wanted to try it
out on my 486 system, which don't have a CDROM on it. Can anyone suggest any
other way other than to find a CDROM and connect it up for installation??

I heard that by copying some essential files onto my hard disk, I will be
able to install RedHat from them. But how do I know which file to copy??

If you have any suggestion for me, please send me a copy thru email too,
just in case I missed the posting in newsgroup.

TIA.

2. help with yaboot.config needed

3. Want Linux CDROM for '486 with SBPro/Panasonic 563 drive!

4. Apachectl error line 57

5. remote install linux (486+nic+no cdrom) tips...

6. serial connection to HP9000

7. Help installing linux SLS on a 486 with 2 hard drives

8. gnuplot under X11?

9. 486 and cdrom drives

10. Help with install on Compaq 486/33L,ESDI HD, SCSI CDROM

11. Slackware install on Compaq 486/33l ESDI HD & SCSI CDROM

12. Kern trap 9 when installing frebsd 4.6 on a 486 (non bootable cdrom)

13. Anyone got TEAC cdrom drive installed in a Linux System?