Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

Post by Brian F. Kimbal » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

> : I upped to Win '95.  Now I don't get a choice for LINUX or dos.  What to do?
> : ddddd

> The same happened to me when I upgraded. Get a Linux bootdisk, boot linux
> and run LILO. If you don't have a linux bootdisk, uninstall Win 95, make
> one, reinstall Win 95 and follow the prior procedure. (*, but what the
> hell...)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Uninstall win95? I think not.
Get this file:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/bootdsks.144/...

use this program to write it to a floppy from DOS:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/install/RAWRI...

boot with that floppy.  At the lilo boot: prompt type 'mount root=/dev/hda1' or
whatever device contains your linux system. Once in Linux run lilo.  Voila.  No
uninstall of winblows 95, just a little bit of hassle.

I think the above file (bare) is not in compressed format.  If the disk does not
boot then get this file:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/install/GZIP.EXE

to uncompress 'bare' in DOS-- 'gzip -d bare'.

Javier-- Next time someone has a problem, try thinking before you recommend they
do a major uninstall of win95.

Brian "I suggest you make a boot disk of your own" Kimball

--
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day; teach a man to
fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

Post by Ted Pavli » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

> boot with that floppy.  At the lilo boot: prompt type 'mount root=/dev/hda1' or
> whatever device contains your linux system. Once in Linux run lilo.  Voila.  No
> uninstall of winblows 95, just a little bit of hassle.

I think this is what you're talking about, but I'm not totally sure -

You see, lilo normally uses the MBR of the first partition (or, more or less, the
partition that your bios passes to) which should contain a running OS (like
DOS/Win95 - BTW - if it doesn't lilo won't work!) ... The bios passes to this and
the first thing it sees is this new lilo MBR which basically is a mini-program
loaded into that MBR - from here it just sees what OS to use, boots the correct
partition and.. voila!

OS/2's Boot Manager does a similar thing, but requires it's own partition and
handles the booting internally. (That's why it's so much bigger than lilo)

So, basically, this problem can be remedied with a boot disk and a re-installation
of lilo onto Win95's MBR.

Hope that helps!

--

.        home phone: 1.614.766.2326 : work phone: 1.614.798.9104
.           MegaLinx Communications : http://www.megalinx.net