Installing Slackware to DOS Partition

Post by Mick Cost » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I would agree with the other poster who said to get a new CD.  You
should be able to get one cheap at www.cheapbytes.com (depending on
where you are).

As for the DOS partition, if you are only trying it out, then I don't
see why you wouldn't use the UMSDOS capability.  Everything gets
installed into a DOS directory.  Want to get rid of it?  Just delete the
directory (assuming that you are booting up off a floppy).  I agree that
this is not a good long term solution.

Mick

Post by fernand » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00

download SlackZip from http://www.slackware.com

> I bought a book on Linux a few years ago that came with Slackware Linux 1.1
> kernel on CD-ROM.  The book explains how to install it on an existing DOS
> partition without the danger of erasing any of the current data.  I have
> only one partition on my PC loaded with Windows 95.  Can I really install
> the linux into the partiton where Windows 95 resides?  Or, if I decide to
> remove the installation, can I do it and how?  Is there anyone out there who
> has done them?  If so, please give me your advise.

> Thanks,
> Koun

This are my personal opinions
Real email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

1. Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition

I am trying to install Linux from the "Toolkit for Linux" CD-ROM. Since
I have been unable to mount my cd-rom with yet I have tried to install
disk set A from my DOS partition.

So I have
               C:\SLACKWAR\A\ <-- a whole lot of directories here.

When I boot Linux and run "setup" (swap partition etc. is prepared)
and I try to INSTALL the files:

   the source partition is: /dev/hda1

   the source directory is: /slackwar

The following error occurs:

 WARNING

     Can't find a disk series a in the source directory

 Skipping it.

Please help! Email me at the address below.
--

2. Enterprise Server-error log message

3. Can I install Slackware from my dos partition?

4. ftp and .netrc

5. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

6. sys/socket.h under LINUX...

7. Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

8. 2nd CFV: comp.lang.awk

9. installing slackware 3.1 from partition to another partition?

10. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

11. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

12. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

13. Slackware on MS DOS Partition?