chroot + make my own linux distrib.

Post by Baptiste Malgu » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

I wanna do "my own" Linux compiling about everything by myself.
To do it, I have to use chroot.
So. I have created /home/babou/root
(babou is my normal user account and babou/root the new /).
As root, I do a "cp -a" for bases as /bin, /sbin, /lib ...
and try "chroot /home/babou/root /bin/bash" and the system
tells me : "cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory".
Id. for all other progs. I've tried !

So, an idea ?
If you have any good advi[cs]e to give for compiling all that ...
{I plan to compile a GCC first, so a glibc and again GCC with the new
glibc, so all basic progs, compilers ...)

Thanks !

--
 Baptiste Malguy - http://www.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr/~malguy
  __        __  __  __   __

1. How to build my own "distrib"

As I tried many different distribs, I noticed that they all had
advantages and inconveniants, son I was wondering how could I manage to
make my own "distrib" with a customized init and etc..

I know that after booting the kernel reads the init.d
but I don't know how to make my own bootdisk ( which will say to the
kernel where to read init), and a root disk with sulogin and the init.

I also don't know wich packages to install first. For example, i would
like to install the egcs and the glibc but what do they require? And how
to compile/install what they require?

Thanks a lot, and keep doing your good job.

2. redhat color printing

3. creating my own distrib,

4. Avavne Logic ALG2301 Problems

5. Making my own Linux CD

6. Shared Libraries under SunOS 4.1.3

7. Mounting a Philips key ring camera/usb stick

8. making own linux installer.

9. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

10. first attempt at making chroot nestable

11. first step in making chroot nestable?