How to read printer′s output FROM a serial line

How to read printer′s output FROM a serial line

Post by Michael Wei » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have got to get the data of a database which is stored on an old
Unisys computer running CTOS. The computer doesnt have a floppy
drive and I also dont know that operaring system. Despite that, the
computer launches an user specific application immediate after booting
so that I dont have a chance to manually copy any files.

My idea was now to print the records of the database from the
application (thats no problem) and to "fake" the printer (a Fujitsu
DL-2400 pinwriter) by my Linux box. Fortunately the printer is
connected by a serial cable so that I can connect the two mashines
with a null modem cable. I tried this and it seems to work: my
terminal program "minicom" shows "Online" when the connection is made
and "Offline" when it is disconnected. However, no data were
transmitted (at least I couldnt see any in my terminal programm, nor
by using 'tail +0 -f /dev/modem', the device the cable was connected
to).

What I am now looking for is a way/program for actually READ IN the
data printed to my computer (I expect problems with the handshake).

Does someone have an idea which program I could use for this task?

Michael Wein

Is "Windows for Dummies" another case of "this sentence no verb?"

1. Weird problem: reading printer output from serial line

Hello,

I have got to get the data of a database which is stored on an old
Unisys computer running CTOS. The computer doesnt have a floppy
drive and I also dont know that operaring system. Despite that, the
computer launches an user specific application immediate after booting
so that I dont have a chance to manually copy any files.

My idea was now to print the records of the database from the
application (thats no problem) and to "fake" the printer (a Fujitsu
DL-2400 pinwriter) by my Linux box. Fortunately the printer is
connected by a serial cable so that I can connect the two mashines
with a zero modem cable (is that the correct word? Sorry, my native
language is German). I tried this yesterday and it seems to work: my
terminal program "minicom" shows "Online" when the connection is made
and "Offline" when it is disconnected. However, no data were
transmitted (at least I couldnt see any in my terminal programm, nor
by using 'tail +0 -f /dev/modem', the device the cable was connected
to).

What I am now looking for is a way/program for actually READ IN the
data printed to my computer (I expect problems with the handshake).

Does someone have an idea which program I could use for this task?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Wein

Is "Windows for Dummies" another case of "this sentence no verb?"

2. Token Ring newbie!

3. Question about reading the output of a command line by line

4. News reader

5. awk-outputting input line in specified output line

6. X win and mach 32

7. Add serial printer on multiport serial line.

8. X11amp Stereo Separation Problem

9. read from stdin while reading line by line a file

10. Suppressing Date,Time, File and Page Line from Printer Output

11. Terminal on serial line accepts input, no output

12. How Do I Redirect Output From A serial Printer to a Disk File

13. Printing problem - no output to serial printer