1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies
Hi all. I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box. Details:
networking setup is peer-to-peer
workstation: Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9
remote: laptop running windowsMe 8-<
Printer: HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake
Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers
Samba runs on boot
When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers". I cannot print to this printer.
However, when I restart samba, what do I see? I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers". If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers) I can now print to my hearts delight.
BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot. The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".
Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:
# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
# print command: see above for details.
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.; print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
lpq command = lpstat -o %p
lprm command = cancel %p-%j
(yes the cups driver line is commented out)
let me know what you think.
2. Web to mail gateway issues
3. Sharing a WinXP printer with Samba/CUPS/Mandrake 9.1
4. programing a window from a picture ...
5. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba
6. Solaris 2.3 System Accounting Questions
7. Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4
8. emacs in a xterm
9. Mandrake, Cups, Brother HL-1440 and Trailer Pages on Speedstream s2614 router/print server
10. samba printing to cups
11. Printing with CUPS through SAMBA
12. Printing to a Canon ir3300 pcl5e through samba and cups
13. printing problem with samba and cups