Mandrake CUPS Samba Printing

Post by Arctic Blizzar » Wed, 08 May 2002 11:01:57

I'm posting this information for the benefis of others who are in a similar
situation as me.
When I had RedHat 7.2, setting up a Samba server and printing service was
simple.
I wanted to experiment with Mandrake 8.2, but ran into problems.
Mandrake uses CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System), and during the printer
configuration, nothing is written into the /etc/printcap file.  After
several days of frustration, I finally figured out how to setup the prining
system in Mandrake, eventhough it uses CUPS.
Here's what you need to have in the [printers] section of smb.conf file.

[printers]
# Following print command uses client side printer drivers.
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
# Following print command uses CUPS own drivers.
# Use generic PostScript on clients.
; print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s
lpq command = lpstat -o %p
lprm command = cancel %p-%j

That's all that was needed!  Surprisingly simple.

-

1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

2. Web to mail gateway issues

3. Sharing a WinXP printer with Samba/CUPS/Mandrake 9.1

4. programing a window from a picture ...

5. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

6. Solaris 2.3 System Accounting Questions

7. Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4

8. emacs in a xterm

9. Mandrake, Cups, Brother HL-1440 and Trailer Pages on Speedstream s2614 router/print server

10. samba printing to cups

11. Printing with CUPS through SAMBA

12. Printing to a Canon ir3300 pcl5e through samba and cups

13. printing problem with samba and cups