default logon

Post by Tim Kel » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:15:30

Hi I am setting up a linux box to be used in a public kiosk. It has
the bare essentials installed + X + wine + my wine app. I want to make
the system basically automatically start up running my wine app on the
screen, no logins etc:

I need to setup my machine so that on boot it automatically logs on to
a specified user and then starts X (i don't want any window managers)
and then starts a specific wine app running. Basically I want to
automate the following:

logon the user

X &
export DISPLAY=0:0
wine ~/myprog.exe

Could anybody give me some steps to acheive this please!

I am not worried about security as the user will be locked right down
and the program will be running in a public kiosk (I want everybody to
be able to use it!!!).

As an extra::: Once this linux box is setup the contents on the
Hard-disk should remain static, except for perhaps the odd log file. I
am concerned that if the power-failed the disk could get corrupt...
Once this machine is installed I never want to have to meddle with it
again. Could I mount the file-system read only or something?
presumably I would have to have a seperate partition for /var? Could
some1 please advise me.

Cheers in advance,

TK

default logon

Post by dav.. » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:15:04

> I need to setup my machine so that on boot it automatically logs on to
> a specified user and then starts X

Use the autologon package, search for "autologin" you should find it.
Some distribution like Mandrake does that for default.

Davide

1. NET USE /HOME connects to logon path, not logon home.

I'm running Linux 2.0.34 and Samba 1.9.18p10
I'm having a problem, where no matter what I set the 'logon home'
parameter to,
NET USE h: /HOME on the Win95 (OSR2) box connects h: to the path specified
in the 'logon path' parameter. Any clue?

I have temporarily resolved my problem by changing
net use h: /home
net use h: \\server_name\homes
in the logon script file.

Only thing with this is that I have
Homes on 'Server_name' (H:)
instead of
'User' on 'Server_name' (H:)
which is ok but I would prefer the latter as it would be more clear for my
students that they are working with their own unique folder.
I can hack it by messing with the logon scripts and %U etc, but why doesn't
it work if it's supposed to?
Arrggh.
K.

2. Apache Book

3. Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

4. DNS and Dhcp

5. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

6. Serial Port Question

7. How automatic route trafic from default gateway to second gateway then connect to default will broken

8. capture the stdout from a spawned process

9. "basedir=default" in default admin file for pkgadd

10. Two interfaces: Set default default route?

11. IP routing - Default + non-default GWs Crashing!?

12. default sizes of default dialogs

13. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !