how can i upgrade tk/tcl with rpm

Post by Nolleken » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I just downloaded TCL/TK 8.0 RPM.
It came in 2 rpm files
-> tcl-8_0-1_i386.rpm
-> tclx-8_0_0b2p1-3.i386.rpm

When I start glint under redhat 4.2
I can easly choose to install this version.

But the old version (original from redhat CD)
is still installed. I try to uninstall them
via glint but I get an error that certain
packages need the old version.

There is an upgrade uption during install
but this seems to have no effect.

How can I upgrade to the new 8.0 ?
Are these files the latest stable version ?

All ideas are welcome, Joeri

Post by Chris Wareha » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I just downloaded TCL/TK 8.0 RPM.

> But the old version (original from redhat CD)
> is still installed. I try to uninstall them
> via glint but I get an error that certain
> packages need the old version.

Many of the RedHat utilities need Tcl/Tk installed, including glint
if I remember rightly. Unfortunately, they use the old Tcl7.6/Tk4.2
versions. Version 8.0 introduced lots of nice improvements and
features to Tcl/Tk, but the actual API changed as well. What this
means is that old Tcl/Tk scripts cannot be run under version 8.0.

Until RedHat change their scripts to run under version 8.0, your
best bet is to install both versions. Perhaps you should compile
version 8.0 from source (quite painless), and install it under
/usr/local for instance.

As for stability, I've never had any problems with either series.

Chris
--
=======================
  "It said Windows 95

Post by Matt Gushe » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I just downloaded TCL/TK 8.0 RPM.

> > But the old version (original from redhat CD)
> > is still installed. I try to uninstall them
> > via glint but I get an error that certain
> > packages need the old version.
> Until RedHat change their scripts to run under version 8.0,

They already have. If you get the latest version of glint,
control-panel, printcfg, etc., you shouldn't have any problems
... except that some of these apps also require Python (with Tkinter,
which lets Python scripts use Tk for the user interface), and you
might need a new version of Python and Tkinter too ... oh, yeah, the
control panel also requires a recent version of GTK (Gimp Tool
Kit)---recent but *not* the latest. A lot of stuff you need to run
some pretty simple programs. Thanks, Red Hat!

Quote:> your
> best bet is to install both versions.

???
Installing both versions is easy. Making sure all the Tcl/Tk apps find
the right version can be a bit of a challenge. If you ask me, unless
you're a serious Tcl/Tk nut, just installing 8.0 and upgrading
everything that depends on it (which is no problem if you're not using
3rd party Tcl/Tk apps) would be a bit easier.

Since glint depends on Tcl/Tk, you'll have to use RPM from the command
line (gasp!) for the upgrade. You might want to start with something
like this:

$ rpm -U --test tcl8.0xxxx.rpm

... and do the same with the other packages. You'll get a bunch of
error messages about dependencies. Write them down so you can make
sure you have all the packages you need, then upgrade everything with

$ rpm -U --nodeps package.rpm

the --nodeps option means RPM will ignore the dependency information,
which is a horrible interlocking mess with Tcl/Tk, Python, and the
RedHat software. That way you don't have to worry about what order to
install everything in.

Hope this helps.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan

1. RPM/Tcl-Tk Question: Right Upgrade Procedure?

I think I may be screwing up somehow as I attempt to upgrade the
Tk-Tcl packages in RH 4.2 to the latest versions (8.1-1, I think).

Using Glint, should I be doing an INSTALL, or an UPGRADE?  Or does it
matter?  I used INSTALL and ended up with what appears to be both the
new and the old packages installed. This manifests itself when I
attempt to start FileRunner, which fails to run and reports problems
executing the initialization script.

Anyone else run into this? Suggestions?

TIA,
TL
"There's a lot to learn
 from wasting time."   -Mr. Neil Young

2. What all patches need to be applied to...

3. how can I upgrade tk/tcl with rpm

4. Network Help - Red Hat 5.2, Kernel 2.0.36

5. Redhat RPM wont upgrade/install tcl/tk/tclx

6. Compiling TOP

7. tcl/tk botched upgrade even while using RPM

8. XStations/IBM3151 - worth Anything?

9. RPM of tk/tcl 8.

10. TCL/TK and RPM

11. TCL/TK v8.0 rpms wanted