Transferring files between Linux boxes

Post by Mike Kutyn » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I've got a server set up right now the way I like it and I'm planning
on installing the same Linux on another computer.  However, I'd like to
have the same configurations on my new box.  The problem is, I have a lot
of configuration files and programs that are resident on my current box.
What I'd like to do is just connect the serial ports together and mount
the new computer as a /mnt drive so I can copy the files without haveing
to copy the files to disk or upload them to a remote server and then
download them again.  (note, I don't have any network cards in them, that
would have been the obvious solution.. :)  Could somebody please direct me
to the Howto or miniHowto that can help me.  I tried the Serial Howto, but
that does not seem to cover connecting 2 SERVER boxes by a null modem
cable.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike K.

Transferring files between Linux boxes

Post by Peter Horto » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

In article:

> Hi, I've got a server set up right now the way I like it and I'm
planning
> on installing the same Linux on another computer.  However, I'd like
> have the same configurations on my new box.  The problem is, I have a
lot
> of configuration files and programs that are resident on my current
box.
> What I'd like to do is just connect the serial ports together and
mount
> the new computer as a /mnt drive so I can copy the files without
haveing
> to copy the files to disk or upload them to a remote server and then
> download them again.  (note, I don't have any network cards in them,
that
> would have been the obvious solution.. :)  Could somebody please
direct me
> to the Howto or miniHowto that can help me.  I tried the Serial Howto,
but
> that does not seem to cover connecting 2 SERVER boxes by a null modem
> cable.

> Thanks for any help you can give me.

> Mike K.

You can use NFS over SLIP.

Box 1:

  setserial /dev/ttyS? spd_vhi
  slattach /dev/ttyS? 38400
  ifconfig sl0 172.16.1.1 pointopoint 172.16.1.2
  route add 172.16.1.2

Box 2:

  setserial /dev/ttyS? spd_vhi
  slattach /dev/ttyS? 38400
  ifconfig sl0 172.16.1.2 pointopoint 172.16.1.1
  route add 172.16.1.1

Then Box 1 should be able to ping Box 2:

  ping 172.16.1.2

and Box 2 should be able to ping Box 1:

  ping 172.16.1.1

If this works, you then have to make sure you have NFS in your kernel
(or as a module), and then export your filing system using /etc/exports.
Then just mount it from the other box.

HTH

--
Peter Horton

http://www.berserk.demon.co.uk

1. How do I keep original file permissions when transferring files to a new box?

Hello to all Unix gurus,

I have been transferring files from one SCO Unix box to another using
ftp and tapes (via tar).

There is no problem transferring the actual files, but I seem to lose the
original permissions of most of the files on the destination box. In particularly,
the write and execute permissions are not restored in the 'group' and 'other'
user classes.

Assumptions:
* I log in as 'root' on both boxes when transferring files.  The owners of
  the files on the destination box changes to 'root' in all cases.
* The destination box does not have any users set up yet.
* When using tar, I specify the 'p' option to restore original permissions on
  the destination box.

How can I keep the original permissions of the files when I transfer from
one box to another (without resorting to 'chmod' after the transfers) ?

Hope someone can solve my problem ?

Nick

  ,-._|\  Nick Gekas                        Limit to about 76 cols->
 /  Oz  \ Mail Address, Phone, Fax. Member, Melbourne PC User Group.
 \_,--.x/ Edit/replace text but don't exceed 4 lines as per netiquette.
       v  ++++ Fancy borders count as a line ~~~~~~~~~~-----++++++++++
UUENCODED by Trumpet for Windows [Version 1.0 Rev B final beta #4]

BEGIN--cut here--cut here----
begin 640 UNIX-U~1.TXT
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end
END--cut here--cut here----

2. Help- netwoking card configuration

3. Ethernet link 2 linux boxes to transfer big files ?

4. ipchains

5. unable to transfer large file between my two linux boxes

6. N.B. Avoid my mistakes! Save days..

7. ASCII File transfer over Ethernet to Mulitport Serial on Linux box?

8. Can I backup across the network?

9. Transferring files from a Mac to a Linux box

10. Transfer Files btw Boxes

11. Slow file transfer to Solaris box

12. File Transfer between solaris boxes

13. File transfers from UNIX box to IBM Mainframe