3C509 RH7.1, lose network

Post by DaveDieg » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:09:04

 I've had my 3Com 3c509 NIC working for a few years now, but I've just
isntalled RH7.1 and after a few minutes after reloading the network I lose
network capabilities until I restart the network again.

 I also get "Setting Rx mode to 0 Address", then the same thing but "1
address". It does that several times before the network comes up. I do not
get this message in RH7.0 or any previous version of RH I've installed.

 Anyone have any hints as to why I'm losing the network after several
minutes?

TIA.

3C509 RH7.1, lose network

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:42:05

> I've had my 3Com 3c509 NIC working for a few years now, but I've just
> isntalled RH7.1 and after a few minutes after reloading the network I
> lose network capabilities until I restart the network again.
>  I also get "Setting Rx mode to 0 Address", then the same thing but "1
> address". It does that several times before the network comes up. I do
> not get this message in RH7.0 or any previous version of RH I've
> installed.
>  Anyone have any hints as to why I'm losing the network after several
> minutes?
> TIA.

Is the card a PCI card?

These things are very difficult to diagnose.   Perhaps the card was just
barely functioning, and a change in the kernel put it over the edge.
Nics are pretty cheap these days, so you might just replace the card to
see if that fixes it.   Try to get another 3Com card so that you can use
the same driver.   Some cards default to the tulip driver but that driver
has some problems for some 2.4 kernels.

3C509 RH7.1, lose network

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:19:55

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:42:05 -0500, Leonard Evens staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> I've had my 3Com 3c509 NIC working for a few years now, but I've just
>> isntalled RH7.1 and after a few minutes after reloading the network I
>> lose network capabilities until I restart the network again.  I also
>> get "Setting Rx mode to 0 Address", then the same thing but "1
>> address". It does that several times before the network comes up. I
>> do not get this message in RH7.0 or any previous version of RH I've
>> installed.  Anyone have any hints as to why I'm losing the network
>> after several minutes?

>Is the card a PCI card?

The 3c509 and 3c509B are ISA cards.

Quote:>These things are very difficult to diagnose.   Perhaps the card was
>just barely functioning, and a change in the kernel put it over the
>edge.  Nics are pretty cheap these days, so you might just replace the
>card to see if that fixes it.   Try to get another 3Com card so that
>you can use the same driver.   Some cards default to the tulip driver
>but that driver has some problems for some 2.4 kernels.

The 3c509 and 3c509B both use the 3c509 module, which has been around
forever and is very stable.  This module takes one parameter, like so:

modprobe 3c509 irq=3

It is necessary to use either the jumpers on the card (3c509), the DOS
3C5X9CFG.EXE (3c509B) or a Linux utility whose name escapes me at the
moment (509B) to set the card to a known IRQ and I/O value.  Then you
should just be able to load the module with the appropriate parameter
and go.

All versions of Redhat ship with patched, nonofficial kernels, but I had
no problems running a 3c509B with Linus kernels 2.4.10 or 2.2.18.  If
this is a problem with Redhat's patched kernel, I'd assume there are
already tens of bug reports.  The 509s are pretty popular because you
can get them for cheap and they generally Just Work.

If all else fails, grab kernel 2.4.10 and try it out instead of the
2.4.3-rh-7.1 stock kernel.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

3C509 RH7.1, lose network

Post by DaveDieg » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:20:00

>> I've had my 3Com 3c509 NIC working for a few years now, but I've just
>> isntalled RH7.1 and after a few minutes after reloading the network I
>> lose network capabilities until I restart the network again.
>>  I also get "Setting Rx mode to 0 Address", then the same thing but "1
>> address". It does that several times before the network comes up. I do
>> not get this message in RH7.0 or any previous version of RH I've
>> installed.
>>  Anyone have any hints as to why I'm losing the network after several
>> minutes?
>> TIA.

>Is the card a PCI card?
>These things are very difficult to diagnose.   Perhaps the card was just
>barely functioning, and a change in the kernel put it over the edge.
>Nics are pretty cheap these days, so you might just replace the card to
>see if that fixes it.   Try to get another 3Com card so that you can use
>the same driver.   Some cards default to the tulip driver but that driver
>has some problems for some 2.4 kernels.

 I think I've had this problem before. I'm not sure how I fixed it so I
just put in an Intel NIC and it's working fine.

3C509 RH7.1, lose network

Post by Buch » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:32:09

I would highly recommend the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100,
I have had nothing but great results with them and at $30, its well
worth swapping out spotty nics.

Also, I could noticeably tell a difference in the overall system throughput,
getting EVERYTHING off the ISA bus and onto the PCI bus. Install
the card in your top PCI slot, closest the CPU and its even better.
(doesnt have to traverse the pci bridge asic chip on the board)

thanks,

- GR

Post by fred smit » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:56:17

:  I've had my 3Com 3c509 NIC working for a few years now, but I've just
: isntalled RH7.1 and after a few minutes after reloading the network I lose
: network capabilities until I restart the network again.

:  I also get "Setting Rx mode to 0 Address", then the same thing but "1
: address". It does that several times before the network comes up. I do not
: get this message in RH7.0 or any previous version of RH I've installed.

:  Anyone have any hints as to why I'm losing the network after several
: minutes?

Nope.

I've set up 7.1 on an old system at work that has a 3c509B-TPO card.
It has been working fine. As long as the card is in PnP mode, either
the installer or Kudzu auto-detected it, set up the IRQ, configured
/etc/modules.conf, and it has just worked without trouble.

It is my understanding (from reading, not personal experience) that the
varied members of the 3C509 family are all different and behave differently,
and that this has been somewhat of a pain to driver writers, so it may
well be that yours is not a ...B-TPO but one of the others that is less-
well-behaved.

Fred

: TIA.
:

--

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked

1. 3c509 lose network after 10 pings

 I just intalled RH6.0 (I attempted to install RH6.1 and Madrake 6.1 but
couldn't get the ftp isntall to work). The network settings go fine and it
appears that I have a network connection, but after several seconds
everything is unreachable. I have a 3c509 network card.

If I restart the network (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart) everything is
fine for several seconds once again. I repeated the above and pinged my
gateway, ten attempts and I averaged 10 pings until I was not able to ping
again. The same also happens when I pinged the machine with the 3c509 from
my other machine on the network.

 The wierd part is is the machine has Redhat 5.0(ish) with kernel 2.0.35 and
the 3c509 NIC is working fine. Been using it for over 2 years.

 I'm sure the driver for this card has changed in two years, anyone know
what changed and how I could fix it?

2. tput cup not working with AIX (cursor placement through shell script)

3. RH7.0 -> RH7.1 upgrade kills networking

4. tbl work with 132 columns?

5. 3c509 and rh7

6. DSL Redundant

7. RH7 & 3C509 not recognized?

8. ps2 mice and X

9. 3c509 RH7.3 Sends but Does Not Receive Data

10. 3com 3c509 driver problem(rh7.0)

11. 3c509 loses mind on resets and power loss

12. Losing 3c509 netconfig

13. 2.5.71 -- Lost second 3c509 card