Q re:increasing the size of a partition

Post by ElfM » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have RH 5.1 on an intel system that has two IDE hard drives.  I have a
filesystem /usr/local mount on /dev/hdb1.  This filesystem is about 6 GB's and
takes all of hdb.  I have 2GB of unformatted space on hda (the other hard
drive) that I want to be added onto /usr/local (I need to have a few really
large files in the same place for a particular app).

Can anyone direct me as to adding these 2 GB's onto /usr/local???

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike falcetta

Post by Bob Tenne » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

 >I have RH 5.1 on an intel system that has two IDE hard drives.  I have a
 >filesystem /usr/local mount on /dev/hdb1.  This filesystem is about 6 GB's and
 >takes all of hdb.  I have 2GB of unformatted space on hda (the other hard
 >drive) that I want to be added onto /usr/local (I need to have a few really
 >large files in the same place for a particular app).
 >
 >Can anyone direct me as to adding these 2 GB's onto /usr/local???

use fdisk to create a Linux partition, say hda2, on hda
mke2fs /dev/hda2
cd /usr/local
mkdir "appname"
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /usr/local/"appname"

If you want the mount done automatically at boot-up, edit /etc/fstab.

Bob T.

1. Anyone used Partition Magic to increase size of Linux / Partition?

Giddy

I'm running out of space, my root partition is the last thing on the drive
and I have heaps of unused space.

I hear conflicting reports on PM and Linux.

Anyone know for certain whether I can extend my root partition with PM 5.01
without buggering everything up?

TIA

Shane Baker
Canberra - Australia's national capital
_____________________________
sbakerATpcug.org.au - please correct the obvious from my email address if replying direct
Australian Pets newsgroup - aus.pets  <<>>  Australian Dogs Page - http://www.pcug.org.au/~sbaker/dogs.htm

2. 'noaccel' option not available

3. Increase size of /usr partition?

4. 1824 segmentation error on shutdown

5. /var at 108% What the easiest way to increase the size of my partitions?

6. Problem with 3C905CX-TXM NIC

7. Increase partition size

8. How to display all files or some files in a directory?

9. How do I increase my Linux partition size?

10. how do i increase the size of the partition?

11. Increasing the size of root partition

12. Increasing partition size

13. Increasing ROOT partition size.