Dual Monitors in Linux.

Post by Beach'n Drago » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have seen this posted before, but I never saw any replies.
Is it possible to use an ISA VGA card and a PCI VGA card at
the same time on Linux. If not, is there a way to get XFree
to work with my Trident TGUI 9440 PCI SVGA card? Everything
is scrambled in resolutions over 320X200.

If anyone can help. please send email to

Dual Monitors in Linux.

Post by Barry Smit » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Go to www.xfree.org and ftp the 3.1.2g beta. Rplace the XF86_SVGA (think
thats the name) with the downloaded one.

> I have seen this posted before, but I never saw any replies.
> Is it possible to use an ISA VGA card and a PCI VGA card at
> the same time on Linux. If not, is there a way to get XFree
> to work with my Trident TGUI 9440 PCI SVGA card? Everything
> is scrambled in resolutions over 320X200.

> If anyone can help. please send email to

1. Dual Boot--Dual Monitor in win98--X trouble with Linux

Hey...

I've just set up a dual boot machine in my office--win98 and RedHat Linux
6.0.  Under win98, I run dual monitors, using a Diamond SpeedStar A50 8mb
AGP as my primary and a Cirrus Logic 5446 2mb PCI.  Running Xconfigurator
under Linux, the only card picked up is the Cirrus 5446, though my actual
display remains on the monitor attached to the AGP card.  If I remove the
Cirrus card, reboot Linux, and run the Xconfigurator, I am able to configure
the AGP card just fine.  If I put the Cirrus card back in after configuring
the AGP, getting X to work, and rebooting, there are fatal X server errors
when trying to startx.

I've scoured the BIOS, and discovered that I cannot disable the PCI slot
that the Cirrus card sits in--I thought I might be able to just disable it
when I wanted Linux, and enable it when I wanted win98.

So...

Is there any way to tell Linux to ignore that Cirrus card, maybe on boot?
Or at any other point critical to X?

I am a newbie with Linux... so please be patient.

Thanks
Jeremy Jones

2. RealAudio fetcher?

3. dual monitor? dual CPU?

4. Bi-directional modem problem in Solaris 2.2

5. Dual X sessions on Dual monitors

6. Help to remove Lilo from mbr

7. Dual monitors? (and dual machines)

8. Toronto: Senior OO Middleware Eng. (up to 95K+options): Java, OOD/OOP, CORBA, EJB, RMI, TP Monitors, Application Servers

9. Two monitors under XF86 (NOT dual monitor)

10. dual monitor. maximize window on first monitor

11. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

12. Can I use dual monitor in the Linux?

13. Dual monitor support for Linux (with X?)