kernel not using memory

Post by Brian D. Jone » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

I recently bought 64megs of additional ram to put next to the factory
installed 64 on my gateway celeron 400.  the boot messages indicate that
it's finding all 128megs of ram, but typing "free" shows that the kernel
is only using 64meg.  I've tried swapping the dimms and recompiling the
kernel (2.2.14, with maximum memory 1GB), but can't get the memory to
work.  I'm fairly certain that the chip works, but I don't know what else
to try.  any advice?

brian

kernel not using memory

Post by Leonard Even » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> I recently bought 64megs of additional ram to put next to the factory
> installed 64 on my gateway celeron 400.  the boot messages indicate that
> it's finding all 128megs of ram, but typing "free" shows that the kernel
> is only using 64meg.  I've tried swapping the dimms and recompiling the
> kernel (2.2.14, with maximum memory 1GB), but can't get the memory to
> work.  I'm fairly certain that the chip works, but I don't know what else
> to try.  any advice?

> brian

What do the commands free and top show about memory usage?

I am running the same kernel and all my memory is used when
necessary.

kernel not using memory

Post by Bob Hau » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently bought 64megs of additional ram to put next to the factory
>installed 64 on my gateway celeron 400.  the boot messages indicate that
>it's finding all 128megs of ram, but typing "free" shows that the kernel
>is only using 64meg.

This is a FAQ.  You could have found the answer by searching Deja.  In
/etc/lilo.conf, in the global section, add:

append = "mem=128M"

Then re-run /sbin/lilo and reboot.  This problem is supposed to be fixed
in 2.2, but it sometimes still crops up.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.