Eudora for Linux is a good idea

Post by Robert Outl » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>>>Linux will remain in the hobbyist/techie niche that it now occupies.

>>Is that necessarily a bad thing?  :-)

>Yes.  The less market share Linux has, the less likely it will be
>supported on new hardware, and the less muscle it will have to get people
>to support it.

Well, the direction Linux is going does have it remaining in the
hobbyist/techie niche. It just so happens that this niche can't
contain it, so GNU/Linux overflows to other niches, too.

The hobbyist/techie niche is an important niche because that's where
the work force, comlplete with a pragmatic drive to develop Free
Software, comes from. And everyone benefits from that niche.

The way it is working out, techie-friendly and user-friendly don't
have to be mutally exclusive. You can get an eas,GUI oriented install,
or stick with an install heavy on command line tools. Its your choice.

Quote:>Things like NeoMagic, Quake1/2, Voodoo chipset, the easy-to-use RedHat 5.1
>OS, and other Linux supported projects are only possible because people
>currently see Linux as a growth market.

GNU/Linux isn't a growth market anymore. Companies realize that most
GNU/Linux users are pretty tech savvy people. They give advice to
their friends on hardware and software purchases.

Let's say that you're a GNU/Linux user. A friend comes up to you with
ads for two similarly priced laptops and asks you which one is better.
Are you going to reccomend the laptop from the company that has
ignored repeated requests for hardware support for GNU/Linux? Or the
one from the company that's been willing to work with your fellow
GNU/Linux users.

I thought so. And this kind of thing happens a _lot_ more often than
you would think.

Mindshare is everything, customer loyalty in the hardware industry is
vital.

Quote:

>- Sam

>--
>Unique Linux information: http://linux-rules.samiam.org/linux/linux_links.html
>Flames directed to /dev/null -|- Spam sent here may be posted to n.a.n-a.email

my sixpence on the issue...
Robert

Eudora for Linux is a good idea

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Does anyone out there besides me think that Eudora for Linux would be a
: Good Thing? There aren't really any impressive email apps that I have
: found for Linux (Netscape's mail is terrible IMHO). Maybe this has been
: suggested before, I don't know. Maybe a petition can be started up

Oh, nice idea. Seat down and code it yourself. I'm sure that such
featureless mailreader as Eudora Light wouldn't take you more than
couple of thousand lines on Tcl-tk (especially, if you would be clever
enough to invoke mailx in the background to handle all mailbox-hanling
issue and metamail to handle all the MIME..

But I'm afraid that few capable programmers care about graphical MUA,
where there exist a lot of quite powerful text-based ones - pine, mutt,
mh, emacs.

Of course, for beginners eudora-like program can be of much help.
Again, I'm consider it worth no more than qualification exam after
two-semester course of Tk programming.

: --
: /--------------------------------------------------------------------\
: |      C h r i s   G u s h u e      | Running Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) |

: \--------------------------------------------------------------------/
I have tin news and pine mail...

Post by Arthu » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> : Does anyone out there besides me think that Eudora for Linux would be a
> : Good Thing? There aren't really any impressive email apps that I have
> : found for Linux (Netscape's mail is terrible IMHO). Maybe this has been
> : suggested before, I don't know. Maybe a petition can be started up

> Oh, nice idea. Seat down and code it yourself. I'm sure that such
> featureless mailreader as Eudora Light wouldn't take you more than
> couple of thousand lines on Tcl-tk (especially, if you would be clever
> enough to invoke mailx in the background to handle all mailbox-hanling
> issue and metamail to handle all the MIME..

> But I'm afraid that few capable programmers care about graphical MUA,
> where there exist a lot of quite powerful text-based ones - pine, mutt,
> mh, emacs.

Apparently one guy cared enough to write XFMail, which
is fully graphical, very nice, and what I use. It comes
with source, and is freely usable except for commercial
resale (based on XForms). There's also XCMail (which is
not as free) and a bunch of others I looked at that I
didn't lile as much as XFMail.

Eudora for Linux is a good idea

Post by Wayne Schulle » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hi,

As soon as gnome is released i'm moving from Eudora to Balsa.

It's going to be a very good graphical email client, and part of the
excellent gnome project.

See www.gnome.org, and www.balsa.net

ta,
wayne

> > : Does anyone out there besides me think that Eudora for Linux would be a
> > : Good Thing? There aren't really any impressive email apps that I have
> > : found for Linux (Netscape's mail is terrible IMHO). Maybe this has been
> > : suggested before, I don't know. Maybe a petition can be started up

> > Oh, nice idea. Seat down and code it yourself. I'm sure that such
> > featureless mailreader as Eudora Light wouldn't take you more than
> > couple of thousand lines on Tcl-tk (especially, if you would be clever
> > enough to invoke mailx in the background to handle all mailbox-hanling
> > issue and metamail to handle all the MIME..

> > But I'm afraid that few capable programmers care about graphical MUA,
> > where there exist a lot of quite powerful text-based ones - pine, mutt,
> > mh, emacs.

> Apparently one guy cared enough to write XFMail, which
> is fully graphical, very nice, and what I use. It comes
> with source, and is freely usable except for commercial
> resale (based on XForms). There's also XCMail (which is
> not as free) and a bunch of others I looked at that I
> didn't lile as much as XFMail.

Eudora for Linux is a good idea

Post by Keven R. Pittsing » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Apparently one guy cared enough to write XFMail, which
> is fully graphical, very nice, and what I use. It comes
> with source, and is freely usable except for commercial
> resale (based on XForms). There's also XCMail (which is
> not as free) and a bunch of others I looked at that I
> didn't lile as much as XFMail.

I use an *old* version of exmh.  1.6.9.  Very dated, but it pretty much
does what I need it to.

Keven

Eudora for Linux is a good idea

Post by Chris Gushu » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[snip]
: As soon as gnome is released i'm moving from Eudora to Balsa.

: It's going to be a very good graphical email client, and part of the
: excellent gnome project.

:>
:> >

:> > : Does anyone out there besides me think that Eudora for Linux would be a
:> > : Good Thing? There aren't really any impressive email apps that I have
:> > : found for Linux (Netscape's mail is terrible IMHO). Maybe this has been
:> > : suggested before, I don't know. Maybe a petition can be started up
[snip]

Wow, this thread I started is still around :)
Actually, that's what I am considering doing - give Balsa a try when Gnome
is released. I gave Balsa a try not long ago, but it didn't want to
compile. Not that I tried too hard to fix the problem, but I'll be content
to wait for a different version. Right now I'm still using Pine (after
trying countless other email apps).

|       8:34pm  up 18:41,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00      |
| Linux constant 2.2.0-pre7 #18 Thu Jan 14 01:17:28 NST 1999 i586 unknown

1. Eudora for Linux is a good idea

C> I think a decent email app would definitely help out a LOT. The
C> third question one person asked me after I convinced him to give
C> Linux a try was "Are there any good email programs for it?"

What constitutes a good email program?

It's a serious question.  I actually think Pine is a good email
program for most people.  It handles MIME, it's easy to learn, it has
an ever increasing number of features, etc.  I think it's one of the
few programs I've seen which is good for a new user and still pretty
decent for an expert user.

Me, otoh, I outgrew Pine years ago and am now using Gnus, which has
more features than anything else there is, pretty safe to say.
(However, it doesn't have native MIME yet... Lars is working on it.)

If you need graphical (why? most graphical readers I've ever used
suck, imho) there are a number of mailers out there.  I haven't used
them, so they may be lacking.  If they are, maybe a discussion of what
a good mailer needs would help improve them.

(Followups directed to c.o.l.d.apps.)

--

2. Unix Shell Updating

3. HELP: 'LCP: timeout' during ppp connection

4. Q: Converting Eudora folders (.mbx files) to Linux and "Eudora-lookalikes" under Linux?

5. Panic: Cannot mount root

6. any ideas? good idea...

7. PPP FAQ

8. Good Eudora passwd changing daemon for Linux?

9. Promoting Linux - I am looking for ideas!

10. Linux Invest? Is it a good idea?

11. CD Burning With Linux - What A Good Idea

12. Qlogic SCSI + Linux: Is this good idea?