Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Don Mahuri » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

Don Mahurin

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Joe Novos » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
: EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

I can't say for sure.  I have a Pentium, (supermicro p55cms) board and
wanted to upgrade from 32M (non edo)  I bought 64M EDO and installed it.
It worked, but slower.  I'm not sure that this is a problem with the memory
or the cache (512K pb) not being good for over 64M.  I'd hate to think this,
since memory is so cheap and I'd like to get some more but would hate to
have it slow down my system.

--

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Brian Dickm » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
>EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?
>Don Mahurin

From a purely hardware standpoint, you should be fine, but ALL of your
memory (even the EDO simm) will run at Fast-Page speed (70 ns), so it's
"better" to have all EDO, but the board should be content with a hybrid
setup.

--

+| <http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dickman/>  |+|  different, just like everyone
+| --- Washington State University ---  |+|  else who's different." -me

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Nathaniel D. D » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
> EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

I asked this exact question to the guy who put my computer together
(ASUS P55 motherboard), and he said no problem as long as the non-EDO ram
is in the first slots so as to avoid the EDO overrunning it. I didn't
know quite what this meant, and I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

--

 .ok soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself.

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Roger Pittma » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
> > EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

> I asked this exact question to the guy who put my computer together
> (ASUS P55 motherboard), and he said no problem as long as the non-EDO ram
> is in the first slots so as to avoid the EDO overrunning it. I didn't
> know quite what this meant, and I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

> --

>  .ok soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself.

Hmm. Sales at Microcenter told me to put the EDO in the first slots, and
the non-EDO last (P55TPIO w/i586-100). Said having EDO low would improve
performance slightly if/when running 16-bit dos/win. Also claimed 32-bit
kernels/drivers usually loaded low, for similar improvement. No mention
of "overrun". Been running this way for about a month now w/o new
troubles.
Just luck ? Should I swap 'em ? Anybody had trouble with either way ?

--
Regards,
Roger

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by David Spac » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: : I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
: : EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

My brother recently tried to do that with his Dell 486.  It failed the
POST, wouldn't even begin to count the RAM.  So, no I doubt that you can
do it either.

Dave Spacey

Don't underestimate the abacus.....it requires no power, can be made with any
materials you have to hand, and never goes bing in the middle of an important
piece of work.

Many thanks to Douglas Adams.

Will EDO work with non-EDO ?

Post by Michael P. Hil » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Well, I've had it work on a friend's 486/100 PCI system...  The BIOS had direct
support for EDO ram.  He hasn't had any problems with it recently, so I can
venture to say that it MIGHT work....  Only if your BIOS has support for EDO
ram.

Michael Hilty

says...

>: : I have a 16 meg non-EDO simm in my DX4-100.  Can I put another 32 meg
>: : EDO simm in.  Any problems with linux?

>My brother recently tried to do that with his Dell 486.  It failed the
>POST, wouldn't even begin to count the RAM.  So, no I doubt that you can
>do it either.

>Dave Spacey

>Don't underestimate the abacus.....it requires no power, can be made with any
>materials you have to hand, and never goes bing in the middle of an important
>piece of work.

>Many thanks to Douglas Adams.

1. Q: Memory upgrade issues (EDO vs non-EDO)

Greetings!!

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard from a P75 to a PPro200,
and would like to upgrade the memory at the same time.

My P75 motherboard has 32Mb or memory: 2 x 16Mb 60ns non-EDO SIMMS.
I'd like my new system to have 64Mb in total.

My question is, should I:
   (a) buy 64Mb of EDO SIMMS for the PPro motherboard.
   (b) buy 32Mb of EDO SIMMS and also use the old SIMMS.

The only disadvantage I see to (a) is cost :-)
The main disadvantage to (b) is a (likely) performance hit.
Plus I paid an aweful lot of money for those 2x16Mb non-EDO SIMMS
in April 1995 :-) :-)

I suppose another concern is whether a PPro motherboard will
support a mix of EDO and non-EDO memory.  I've only looked into
the ASUS PPro boards so far, and their tech support claims that
they'll support 2x16Mb non-EDO and 2x16Mb EDO on the same board.

FWIW, I'm running Windows NTWS 4.0 and Linux 2.0.27

Any comments/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-- Sean.

2. init program code

3. Mixed EDO/non-EDO?

4. Filters, Filters, where are you Filters...

5. EDO and non-EDO mix - no X?

6. enable auto answer for dial in ?

7. What difference between EDO DRAM and EDO parity RAM?

8. Win/Linux font properties java apps

9. assus PCI/I-P55TP4XE - linux - 70ns non-edo ram

10. non-edo memory where, how much?

11. Pentium 100, TP4N, 2x8 MB 60ns EDO a non go?

12. EDO-RAM is not working with slackeware 2.3