Give me a hint

Post by ponckxelio » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:15:33

Why did it take so long to find in my 700 page suse linux guide that you
must switch to runlevel 2 to work in textmode?
http://web2news.com/?comp.os.linux.misc

Give me a hint

Post by Byron A Je » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:00:30

>Why did it take so long to find in my 700 page suse linux guide that you
>must switch to runlevel 2 to work in textmode?

Because that's not the only way to do it. Try Ctrl-Alt-Fx where x is between
1 and 7 (most likely 6). You'll get a text console and X will still be running
in another virtual console.

BAJ

Give me a hint

Post by Clive Dov » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:01:33

> Why did it take so long to find in my 700 page suse linux guide that
> you must switch to runlevel 2 to work in textmode?

Why disable the desktops just to run a command line?

Either use one of Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6 to switch to a console (use
ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to your desktop) or use one of the terminal
windows that come with all modern distributions and which can be found
in the K menu on the KDE desktop or in its Gnome equivalent.

Using a terminal window has an advantage in that you can still use the
destop while keeping the terminal window open and can open more than
one terminal windows side-by-side.

1. PPP problems, please give me a hint

Can anyone help me with this,

I'm using Redhat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20 as a server for a small LAN
I have succeeded in establishing a ppp-connection to my ISP a couple of
times. But most of the times I won't succeed.

The funny thing is that it always work when I use a new tty (i.e. with
ctrl-alt-F1 to F6) for the first time. According to the system log
everything is fine.

In my conf.modules host, I have two lines (according to the
README.linux, for the current PPP-release, whatever its number is, I
just downloaded the newest version a few days ago and used the Redhat
Package Manager to install it):

alias zzz-char-108 ppp_something
alias blablabla ppp_generic

(where zzz is something. Can't really remember the details, because I'm
at work now and the machine is at home, but it's checked for spelling
and everything).

Then I disconnect and try to connect again. Looking at the system log,
it says something like:

: modprobe: can't locate module zzz-char-108

Well that didn't occur the first time. Then the log says:

: Serial connection established

and nothing else happens. Eventually there is some time-out somewhere
and I get disconnected.

I use pppd with an options file and chat-script that has been provided
by my ISP, and I think that they are correct.

Am I doing something wrong here? One thing I wonder is if I do something
wrong when I disconnect, so that something does not get restored in a
correct manner. I have used a ppp-off script that (I think) is provided
with the PPP-package.

Please give me any hints.
Pal Dahle
Goteborg, Sweden
please remove the dontspam. from my e-mail address to reply.

2. Semaphore and Shared memory questions...

3. Give me a hint on programming a new fs support for linux!

4. Adaptec 2940U2W conflict with FreeBSD and Linux

5. Ohh brave NEW WORLD machines, please give me an install hint....

6. ANNOUNCE: Public Desktop Environment

7. Oerrs, 99%, please give hints ...

8. NEC 660plus and Linux

9. ISDN: ipppd dies without giving a hint why

10. Help: please give me some hints...

11. pls give me hint/logic newbie

12. Does anybody give me a hint about the ClearCase MVFS file system?

13. Newbie : Problem with DHclient can anybofy give me a hint ?