compiling 2.2.19 -- printer support

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:26:09

I think this is the first time I've run into this problem. Although
parport has been around for awhile, I don't think I've seen it
split out in the config file quite like this before...
  General Setup -> Parallel port support (parport.o)
                   -> PC Style port (parport_pc.o)
  Plug&Play     -> Autoprobe for parallel devices (parport_probe.o)
  Character Dev -> Parallel printer support  (lp.o)

Well, here's my question: in trying to "statically compile-in" all of
this, the character device (lp) does not get created.  I can compile
in all the other pieces, but I have to modularize the lp support.  I
don't think I've seen this before.  I don't see why this should be.
This particular kernel is for a machine on which I've collected
named, apache, dhcpd, and print services, so it seemed reasonable to
statically-link the appropriate "modules".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX