Upgrade Boo Boo....

Post by Chuang Keng Ch » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi Anyone-Who-Can-Help (or need some laughs!)

I was trying to upgrade my XFree86 to the latest that has a driver for

upgrade the ld-linux.so something or other to a version later than 1.7.14.

I got everything in and deleted the old symbolic link to ld-linux.so.1
(intending to then link it to the upgraded version).  Unfortunately after
doing it, none of the usual commands could work (apparently they ALL needed
the link to work in the first place!!!)

Any ideas as to how I may restore the old symbolic link ?  Any help much
appreciated.

KC

Upgrade Boo Boo....

Post by Stan Brook » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I was trying to upgrade my XFree86 to the latest that has a driver for

>upgrade the ld-linux.so something or other to a version later than 1.7.14.
>I got everything in and deleted the old symbolic link to ld-linux.so.1
>(intending to then link it to the upgraded version).  Unfortunately after
>doing it, none of the usual commands could work (apparently they ALL needed
>the link to work in the first place!!!)

Get a slackware boot/root floppy pair (doesn't have to be same kernel
version). Mount your hard drive partition to /mnt. Fix the link.

Next time, use the install script included with the ld.so package.
My recollection is that it takes care of the links.

--
 --SJB             >> no-junk-mail-please! <<
--

Upgrade Boo Boo....

Post by Geoff Alls » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

says...

>Hi Anyone-Who-Can-Help (or need some laughs!)

>I was trying to upgrade my XFree86 to the latest that has a driver for

>upgrade the ld-linux.so something or other to a version later than 1.7.14.

>I got everything in and deleted the old symbolic link to ld-linux.so.1
>(intending to then link it to the upgraded version).  Unfortunately after
>doing it, none of the usual commands could work (apparently they ALL needed
>the link to work in the first place!!!)

>Any ideas as to how I may restore the old symbolic link ?  Any help much
>appreciated.

        You should be able to log in using your original boot/root
installation disks as rescue disks, mount your root partition on /mnt and
recreate the symlink.  When you change library symlinks, don't delete the old
link (as you found); instead, do ln -sf /newlibraryname /linkname.  This makes
the swap in a single command so you aren't left swinging in the breeze!

Get "Running Linux" from O'Reilly if you want a good Linux handbook, BTW.

1. root "no shell" boo-boo

Subject: root "no shell" boo-boo

The scenario:

A friend has a brand new Sparc Station 5.  After a few hours of
installing Solaris from the CD-ROM, the first action while logged
in as root was to edit /etc/passwd and change root's shell from
/sbin/sh to /sbin/csh.  Oops.

Now, on login as root, the error message, "no shell" appears and
returns to the login prompt.

The problem, of course, is that csh is not in the /sbin directory.
No other logins were created.  Bummer.  What can they do to
fix this, besides installing the entire Solaris CD-ROM from
scratch?

2. Sound Blaster 16 PnP setup trouble

3. Root boo boo

4. How to install Xservers

5. The server made a boo boo error, please help

6. letters after the device

7. Sol2.6 realloccg: fs full - is my FS boo-boo?

8. auto-logout

9. root "no shell" boo-boo

10. boo-boo follow-up

11. Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

12. su, pam, Red Hat 7.0: I made a boo-boo

13. KA-BOO-DLE !!!!