FTP daemons not going away

Post by Marcos H. Woehrma » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have a Linux 2.0.30 system (Redhat 4.2) that occasionally forgets to
remove an in.ftpd process that no longer has a connection.  They show
up when doing an `ftpwho` and `ps -auxww | grep ftp` as just in.ftpd.
After a while (several weeks) there are enough of these that ftp access
is denied (I then kill them and everything is okay).

Should I install a newer in.ftpd?

marcos
--
Not ready reading .signature                          |    Marcos H. Woehrmann

1. go away evil anonymous ftp!! and ftp questions

Hi all.  We have been having problems with hackers playing around in
our ftp system through the anonymous login, so the decision has been
made to stop anonymous access and only allow restricted access through
individual user accounts.  Well, I'm having trouble.  I have created
indiv. accounts through smit, gave them their own directory structures
and group.  It looks something like this:

/home
  /ftp
    /pub
      /user1 (group a)
      /user2 (group a)
      /user3 (group b)
      /user4 (group b)
      /user5 (group b)
      /user6 (group b)

I want group a to be able to go into each other's directories, as well
as group b. (done)  But, I don't want them to be able to go up the
diretory tree or get out of the /pub directory.  Also, how do I turn
off anonymous ftp access?  I have tried all different kinds of
directory permissions and locked the anonymous accounts, and I can get
part of the solution, but not the entire fix.  How can I accomplish
both of these tasks?

2. Security Dynamics & Cisco

3. ftp.netcom.com /pub/Linux going away

4. VFS error in dmesg with ext3 htree

5. Sockets not going away

6. BootX

7. You do not exist. Go Away!

8. getting date in rpm

9. HELP: LILO will not go away!!!

10. You do not have DIP access. Go Away

11. pointtopoint ethernet interface configureation not going away. why?

12. You do not exist. Go away!

13. Sockets not going away (too many open files)