Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

Post by Mark McKenzi » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to read files off a floppy Disk that was formatted using
MSDOS from Linux.   I have some .html files on an MS-DOS formatted
floppy that I need to get into my Linux Box.

Mark.
--

web:        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjmck/

Post by Aron Felix Gursk » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to read files off a floppy Disk that was formatted using
> MSDOS from Linux.   I have some .html files on an MS-DOS formatted
> floppy that I need to get into my Linux Box.

Sure. If you have the mtools package installed, you simply

        mcopy a:* .

to copy all of the files on the diskette to the current directory. If they are
text files using the DOS convention for end-of-line (i.e. CR/LF), you can
convert them as you copy:

        mcopy -t a:dosfile.txt unixfile.text

--
                                        -- Aron

NB: Om du vil svare med e-post, m? du fjerne "spam-block." fr? adressa mi.
NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, you have to remove "spam-block." from my
address.

Post by Tobias Vancu » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Is it possible to read files off a floppy Disk that was formatted using
>MSDOS from Linux.   I have some .html files on an MS-DOS formatted
>floppy that I need to get into my Linux Box.

Look at my posts concerning the same topic. Otherwise,

mdir a:
mcopy a:somefile.htm

should do it (man mtools).

>Mark.
>--

>web:        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mjmck/

1. can't format a dos-formatted floppy disk

: Does anybody know ,how to format a DOS-formatted 3.5 inches 1.44M floppy
: diskette
: I have runned such command(as root) in REDHAT 6.0:
: # fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
: But got "CRC error ........" ,why ?

Here's a shellscript I wrote (it's an ugly hack, but it does the job)
a few years ago to to both a Low-Level format and then to put a DOS
filesystem on a diskette. If you save the script as "dosformat" you
would then invoke it as:

        dosformat /dev/fd0H1440

or whatever the device is you're formatting. it assumes you've got
mkdosfs on your system (it came with mine).

Fred
#!/bin/sh

# low-level format a diskette and write a validated DOS filesystem on it.

fdformat -n $1
if [ $? = 0 ]
        then
#echo open drive, close it, press ENTER...
#read kb
        /sbin/mkdosfs -vc $1
else
        echo Format failed!
fi

echo
echo done...
echo format another?
read kb
case $kb in
        y|Y)
                exec $0 $*
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

2. Matrox G200 AGP: sporadic dark screen

3. How do I get my disk drive to read DOS formatted disks?

4. How to make DL libs of g++ code with templates?

5. reading dos files from floppy disk

6. Problem with "system()" function on AIX4.2.1

7. How to :Reading writing & formatting Linux floppy from DOS ?

8. console and (swiss)-german keyboard

9. How to mount a floppy disk of DOS format?

10. DOS format floppy disk driver mount problem

11. Reading CP/M and RSX11 floppy disk formats?

12. How to read/write/format MS-DOS floppy disks???