Poor quality fonts in kvt

Post by MH » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I was playing around with my font settings to get Netscape to look right
and did something that has caused my fonts in kvt (KDE xterm) to display
poorly.  I tried resetting the order of fonts in /etc/X11/fs/config,
default font size, default resolutions, etc. but can't seem to get the
display to look the way it did originally (sharper image).

I compared my settings to those in another installation where the fonts
display correctly to make sure I had everything right. I also juggled
settings, but nothing seems to work.  The font I'm using in kvt is
"fixed", 10 point (which I believe is displayed as 13 point, if I
understand the kvt configuration file settings), bold.  When I select
"normal" from the kvt "options/fontsize" menu the font displays smaller
than it should, but can be corrected selecting "medium".  No matter what
I do, however, the font displays fuzzier, with some letters (m)
"scrunched" unless I display the font at 15 points or larger.   Any
ideas?  (yes, I did restart the font server)  Config files below:

kvtrc:

# KDE Config File
[kvt]
foreground=#c0c0c0
defaultFont=fixed,10,5,unknown,75,0
charclass=
menubar=visible
background=#000080
dimension=80x24
Hotkeys=true
keyset=0
fontSize2=7
fontSize3=10
kmenubar=top
fontSize4=14
fontSize5=15
colormode=KDE
fontSize6=20
size=medium
scrollbar=right
backspace=BS

config:

#
# Default font server configuration file for Red Hat Linux 6.0
#

# allow a max of 4 clients to connect to this font server
client-limit = 4

# when a font server reaches its limit, start up a new one
clone-self = off

# alternate font servers for clients to use
#alternate-servers = foo:7101,bar:7102

# where to look for fonts
# Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
# directories in /usr/share, because they aren't forced to be
# installed alongside X.
#
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo

# in 12 points, decipoints
default-point-size = 120

# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100

# how to log errors
use-syslog = on

1. Quality of X fonts poor

Is there any way to improve the quality of fonts in X? I recently setup
RH5.2 and have been using Netscape and the trial version of Word Perfect
and I miss the high quality fonts in Windows 95 - nothing in X seems to
give a nice font display.

2. Ideas for using several inetlinks

3. Poor screen quality

4. XNLSPATH variable error

5. Q: poor sound quality, why?

6. How to have root permission

7. xgrabsc | gs = poor quality

8. Whistle InterJet

9. Why are jpegs so poor quality in Linux?

10. Poor screen quality

11. netscape 2.0.beta.b4, poor pic quality

12. Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

13. Sound card: poor quality from CD drive... mixer needed?