Redhat Linux, PAM, and root .rhosts

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have been trying to allow .rhosts for root on my Linux (RedHat 4.2,
kernel 2.0.30). I have figured out that Redhat comes configured with pam
and that I have to change the /etc/pam.d/rlogin file. However I have not
figured out how to do this. I have removed the
securetty line (which at least allows me to logon as root) but do not
know how to change the others. I assume it is one of the "auth" lines
that needs changing. Anyway here is my rlogin pam file

auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

i( and yes, I do have a .rhosts file in /root owned by root, with rw
permission only to root.)

1. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

On most other Unix systems, one can rsh, even as root, to
another machine (or even the same machine) with out being asked for
a password so long as there is a /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts.

I am trying to do this under linux, and it *always* asks for
a password!  Why?  What am I missing?  I searched the FAQ's
and LDP docs but couldn't find anything.

I know this must be possible, because sometimes this is required
(doing a backup for example).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Glenn

2. Cleaning up the hard drive

3. PAM/RedHat: pop3 /etc/pam.d config

4. Kppp Rule ... Help

5. redhat 6.1, PAM, and having to alter /etc/pam.d/kppp

6. Limit does not seem to be working.

7. RH 4.0 / PAM difficulties with .rhosts.

8. du -k vs df -k vs ls -al

9. PAM for .rhosts check?

10. Can't seem to get pam and .rhosts to play nice

11. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

12. To .rhosts or not to .rhosts - which is safer