Why a Penguin?

Post by Martin Duspiv » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello !

May be it's a funny question, but why is a Penguin the logo of Linux .

I know that Linus Torvalds is from Findland - a country of snow and ice, but
penguins live on the opposite side of earth - on the south pole.

So why a penguin? Does anyone know the answer?

Anyway, Linux is the best OS in the world !

Why a Penguin?

Post by The Darkene » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The answer from Linus himself. =)

http://www.linux.org/info/penguin.html

--
- The Darkener

Why a Penguin?

Post by spi.. » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello !
> May be it's a funny question, but why is a Penguin the logo of Linux .
> I know that Linus Torvalds is from Findland - a country of snow and ice, but
> penguins live on the opposite side of earth - on the south pole.
> So why a penguin? Does anyone know the answer?

Simple really...
When Linus was putting his first web page together, he didn't have much to
say (too busy on other things) so, his web page said...

"Hello, I'm Linus Torvaldes, and this is a photo of a penguin"

|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

1. OT (but penguin related) - Penguins on patrol

Reported in this weeks new Scientist - page 23:

Diving penguins have been doing field work for oceanographers. Jean-Benoit
Charrassin and his colleagues from France's national museum of natural
History in Paris wanted to create an accurate 3D temperature map of the
fish-rich but little studied waters around the Kerguelen Islands in the
South Indian Ocean. So they fitted miniature depth and temperature
recorders with satellite transmitters to 18 King Penguins foraging in the
area. Research ships often have dificulty operating in such remote and
rough seas, says Charrassin, so marine animals such as penguins can make
cheap and effective helpers.

Question. I wonder what Embedded OS, if any, was being used for running
the instrumentation packages??? Would like to know more if anyone can find
out...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

2. Problems with -ansi and header files

3. Q: Why a penguin?

4. Monitorung web traffic

5. Why a penguin?

6. Does Microsoft benefit from the OpenSource movement?

7. what's its name (was Why a penguin)?

8. a2ps and line breaks

9. Why a penguin ?

10. Telnet & FTP lag - why why why???

11. Why, Why Why

12. WHY-WHY-WHY.....my Mitsumi CD don't seek at boot??!!!!!

13. Why, Why Why