synchronize date/time stamp with ftp server

synchronize date/time stamp with ftp server

Post by Andreas Ossenbruegge » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:02:15

I'd like to synchronize the date/time stamp of some hundred files on my
local hd with an ftp server. I've tried touch -r but that only works
with local reference files. Any suggestions?

Andreas

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:56:34

]I'd like to synchronize the date/time stamp of some hundred files on my
]local hd with an ftp server. I've tried touch -r but that only works
]with local reference files. Any suggestions?

]Andreas

Perhaps you should tell us why you want this?
You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
What do you mean " that only works with local reference files"?

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:18:24

> I'd like to synchronize the date/time stamp of some hundred files on my
> local hd with an ftp server. I've tried touch -r but that only works
> with local reference files. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest using rsync or unison, instead, as they don't transmit
passwords (or much of anything else) as plain text, use compression,
and are otherwise 25-odd years newer than FTP.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html
[Concerning  MSFT innovating  their way  out  of a  wet paper  bag...]

Post by Andreas Ossenbruegge » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:21:16

> Perhaps you should tell us why you want this?

For sorting files for date/time and adding/removing newer/older files
easily. E.g. syncing Linux updates via the Redhat ftp server.

Quote:> You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
> What do you mean " that only works with local reference files"?

I've tried touch -r ftp://ftp.redhat.com/[remote-path]/file.rpm
/[local-path]/file.rpm - doesn't work! I will try man rsync - thanks.

Andreas

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:03:14

>> Perhaps you should tell us why you want this?

> For sorting files for date/time and adding/removing newer/older files
> easily. E.g. syncing Linux updates via the Redhat ftp server.

Then rsync/unison are _definitely_ the sort of thing that would be
preferrable.  They can do things automagically that you'd have to
write scripts for with FTP.

Quote:>> You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
>> What do you mean " that only works with local reference files"?

> I've tried touch -r ftp://ftp.redhat.com/[remote-path]/file.rpm
> /[local-path]/file.rpm - doesn't work! I will try man rsync - thanks.

rsync tends to require the ability to run daemons on the remote host;
unison is able to avoid this by invoking the unison program on the
remote host when you log in to the remote host.

That may be a reason to prefer one or the other.
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html
"Microsoft  OS's  are good because  they   encourage Intel  to produce

Post by Frank da Cr » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:50:27

:
: ]I'd like to synchronize the date/time stamp of some hundred files on my
: ]local hd with an ftp server. I've tried touch -r but that only works
: ]with local reference files. Any suggestions?
:
: Perhaps you should tell us why you want this?
: You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
: What do you mean " that only works with local reference files"?
:
Rsync can't always be used, e.g. when there isn't a server on the remote
site or you don't have access to it; or when the remote site isn't Unix.

For an FTP client that can set file timestamps from the server when
downloading and that includes update and recovery modes, see:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

 . Who cares when you're accessing an anonymous FTP site;

 . FTP can be as secure as you want it to be:

     http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/security.html#servers

- Frank

Post by Christopher Brown » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:52:28

> :
> : ]I'd like to synchronize the date/time stamp of some hundred files on my
> : ]local hd with an ftp server. I've tried touch -r but that only works
> : ]with local reference files. Any suggestions?
> :
> : Perhaps you should tell us why you want this?
> : You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
> : What do you mean " that only works with local reference files"?
> :
> Rsync can't always be used, e.g. when there isn't a server on the remote
> site or you don't have access to it; or when the remote site isn't Unix.

Partially true.  There does need to be a server; the "sister tool,"
Unison, requires no such server process, using an approach reminiscent
of inetd, where it remote-executes the Unison client/server when it
logs in.
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html
"A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle."

Post by Paul Kimot » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:18:07

> would write:

>>: You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.
>> Rsync can't always be used, e.g. when there isn't a server on the remote
>> site or you don't have access to it; or when the remote site isn't Unix.
> Partially true.  There does need to be a server; the "sister tool,"
> Unison, requires no such server process, using an approach reminiscent
> of inetd, where it remote-executes the Unison client/server when it
> logs in.

Isn't this functionally like using rsync over ssh (rsh if you must)?
You can even put the remote server executable in some weird place using
the (rsync) --rsync-path=____ option.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

Post by Christopher Brown » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:37:05

>> would write:

>>>: You can use rsync to keep the files in sync with each other.

>>> Rsync can't always be used, e.g. when there isn't a server on the remote
>>> site or you don't have access to it; or when the remote site isn't Unix.

>> Partially true.  There does need to be a server; the "sister tool,"
>> Unison, requires no such server process, using an approach reminiscent
>> of inetd, where it remote-executes the Unison client/server when it
>> logs in.

> Isn't this functionally like using rsync over ssh (rsh if you must)?
> You can even put the remote server executable in some weird place using
> the (rsync) --rsync-path=____ option.

It would be similar to that; is there an easy way to set rsync up to
do this?  I've looked in the FAQ and in the instructions, and I don't
see it...  In contrast, this is the default way that Unison works...
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Rules of the Evil Overlord #8. "After I * the beautiful princess,

Post by Paul Kimot » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:20:28

>>>  There does need to be a server; the "sister tool,"
>>> Unison, requires no such server process, using an approach reminiscent
>>> of inetd, where it remote-executes the Unison client/server when it
>>> logs in.
>> Isn't this functionally like using rsync over ssh (rsh if you must)?
> It would be similar to that; is there an easy way to set rsync up to
> do this?  I've looked in the FAQ and in the instructions, and I don't
> see it...  In contrast, this is the default way that Unison works...

(I thought it was the default way rsync worked!  I've never used it
the other way.)

Set up ssh, export RSYNC_RSH=ssh, and invoke
"rsync remote.machine:file/location ."
(rather than "rsync rsync://remote.machine/file/location .").
The syntax seems to be the same as rcp's (or scp's).

This seems too easy; maybe you have something else in mind ...

(P.S. More thorough rsync information seems to be at
http://rsync.samba.org/ .)

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

synchronize date/time stamp with ftp server

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 16:29:44

On 20 Jun 2002 15:52:28 GMT,

Quote:

>Partially true.  There does need to be a server; the "sister tool,"
>Unison, requires no such server process, using an approach reminiscent
>of inetd, where it remote-executes the Unison client/server when it
>logs in.

Appart from that, wget is able to get files from a regular ftp server
and preserver the timestamps as found on that server when used with
the --mirror flag.  This may not work for Microsoft servers displaying
the dir listing in MSDOS format, and you may not have seconds accuracy.
Not sure if wget now understands the MDTM command, that would give the
correct timestamp.  Again, some ftp server don't support the MDTM command
either as it is not a prescribed comamnd by any internet standard.

Villy

1. ftp file date / time stamp missing

Could anyone tell me how to solve this one ?

When I ftp files from Solaris box to my desktop pc using
MS Internet Explorer the date / time stamp on the file is missing
from the file in the cache. Consequently when I try to ftp an updated
version of the same file it checks the cache and matches the
date / time stamps and does not retreive the file from the server.

I have setup anonymous ftp on the solaris box.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recevied.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Dynamic/Static Linking

3. How to synchronize server's time with time server.

4. Noatun trouble

5. Synchronize time from a time server

6. Tyan S1470 MB with Cyrix P166+ and 32MB SDRAM

7. Date and Time stamp to hundredths of seconds?

8. Samba problems

9. Changing File Modified Time/Date Stamp

10. Calculating deltas between date & time stamps

11. Changing File Modified Time/Date Stamp

12. How do you reset file date time stamp

13. time/date stamp via #includes?