Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

Post by Dave Bro » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone give me a pointer toward info about Linux support for
writing to Compact Flash memory modules, particularly as used in
RCA Lyra player.  The player comes with Windows software and a
cable set that connects to the parallel port for transferring
data to the memory modules.

Since I thought I'd finally gotten rid of Windows, it bugs me to have
to resurrect the beast to load up an mp3 player.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

Post by Christopher Brow » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Dave Brown would say:

Quote:>Can anyone give me a pointer toward info about Linux support for
>writing to Compact Flash memory modules, particularly as used in
>RCA Lyra player.  The player comes with Windows software and a
>cable set that connects to the parallel port for transferring
>data to the memory modules.

>Since I thought I'd finally gotten rid of Windows, it bugs me to have
>to resurrect the beast to load up an mp3 player.

There's a PCMCIA card that I've used to "mount" a CF module on my
laptop; this allows treating the CF as if it were an extra disk drive.

_Presumably_ the Lyra writes data onto the CF module as if it were
some form of filesystem; I'd kind of expect it to use DOS FAT as the
filesystem format, as implementations of that are pretty ubiquitous
(if iniquitous!) as well as being fairly well-understood.

The SANDisk "ImageMate CompactFlash USB / Compact Flash Reader
SDDR-31" is, according to the <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/>
USB-for-Linux site, now supported, treating the CF as a SCSI device.

There's certainly some fiddling there, but there are a couple of ways
of getting at the CF modules.  No guarantees on what the data format
will be...
--

All ITS machines now have hardware for a new machine instruction --
PFLT    Prove Fermat's Last Theorem.

Compact Flash Mem for mp3 player (RCA Lyra)

Post by Dave Bro » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Dave Brown would say:
>>Can anyone give me a pointer toward info about Linux support for
>>writing to Compact Flash memory modules, particularly as used in
>>RCA Lyra player.  The player comes with Windows software and a
>There's a PCMCIA card that I've used to "mount" a CF module on my
>laptop; this allows treating the CF as if it were an extra disk drive.
>The SANDisk "ImageMate CompactFlash USB / Compact Flash Reader
>SDDR-31" is, according to the <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/>
>USB-for-Linux site, now supported, treating the CF as a SCSI device.

Thanks for the info.  I picked up the Sandisk PCMCIA adapter, which
allows me to plug the CF module into the adapter into my laptop.  I
can mount the module as a vfat filesystem.

The Lyra software (derived from Real Jukebox) records to the module in a
modified mp3 format, which only Lyra recognizes.  So I have to load
the module with the Win software, then put the module on my laptop and
copy the encoded files off.  After building a library of tunes, I'll
be able to load up a module when I'm on the road from my laptop.

Too bad the large-capacity CF modules are sooo expensive.  But this
is a reasonable workaround.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

I have an RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player which connects through USB to my
computer running Fedora Core 2. I can read and copy files from its
filesystem just fine. However, the Lyra uses mpy files, (its proprietary
format) rather than mp3 files. Thus I need to convert my mp3 files prior
to downloading them to the Lyra. This is done under Windows using
MusicMatch Jukebox, but there is no Linux version of that program (there
was a beta version in 2001, but apparently it was never continued).

I have serached the web extensively to find an mp3 to mpy file
converter, with no luck.

Does anyone have a program that converts mp3 files to mpy files? Without
it, my player is useless with Linux.

Thanks

John McFee

2. Need tool to load newsgroups

3. Compact and preferably cheap portable mp3 player that interfaces easily to a linux box

4. Getting Linux through MS Proxy Server?

5. Linux Compatible Flash-Based MP3 Players

6. ppp help

7. Flash mp3 player PDP2225 not working as USB-drive?

8. paging not active!

9. IDE Booting from Flash - Positive report: Adton PCMCIA Card Drive - PCMCIA vs. Compact Flash

10. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

11. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

12. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

13. MP3 Player & VCD Player