Linux + Mosaic2.7b4: cannot use DNS

Post by Soh Kam Yu » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[Posted to comp.os.linux.misc and comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x]

[Please post all suggestions to me as my newsserver is not very
reliable.  I'll summarise the replies and repost to the above
newsgroups]

I'm currently facing a problem with the statically linked version
of Mosaic2.7b4 with my Linux system (Slackware, a.out kernel version
1.2.8).

I can get Mosaic to run, but it refuses to connect to any web site.
It returns error messages saying that the host is unreachable or
is refusing to serve the requested document to me.

However, when I used the IP address instead of the IP name, Mosaic
can connect and retrive the Web page.  This leads me to conclude
that there is a problem with Mosaic communicating with my nameserver.

I did not encounter this problem with Mosaic2.6 or with any other
Internet programs on my system.  Can anybody help me to resolve
this problem?

Regards
--
Soh Kam Yung

Linux + Mosaic2.7b4: cannot use DNS

Post by Soh Kam Yu » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

This is a follow-up to my problem given below.

The solution is to create the file /etc/nsswitch.conf with the following
entry:

hosts: files dns

Apparently, Mosaic now searches for this file to know how to look
for host names.  The file tells Mosaic to search in files (system
files, in this case /etc/hosts) then the DNS.  Apparently, Solaris
machines also use this method.

Many thanks to Anders Pilegaard for pointing this to me.

[...]

: --
: Soh Kam Yung

--
Soh Kam Yung

Post by Scott Powe » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: This is a follow-up to my problem given below.

: The solution is to create the file /etc/nsswitch.conf with the following
: entry:

: hosts: files dns

: Apparently, Mosaic now searches for this file to know how to look
: for host names.  The file tells Mosaic to search in files (system
: files, in this case /etc/hosts) then the DNS.  Apparently, Solaris
: machines also use this method.

: [...]

As in the case when we compiled with Irix 5.2 for SGI machines, Mosaic does
not _search_ for _anything_ having to do with looking up a name. We simply
call the function "gethostbyname" passing the "host" portion of the URL to
it. I would guess this, in turn, calls something that does the searching
you speak of.

The problem on the SGIs was that resolv.conf was stored in a different
location on IRIX 5.2 and IRIX 5.3. So, when the static linked binary was
used, it was with the 5.2 library which looked in the wrong place on 5.3.

I am assuming the same situation here. We compile on Red-Hat dist 2.0,
Linux kernel 1.2.13, ELF library format. Because we are using the newer
library format (new for Linux...well kinda new), ELF, we have to link
_all_ the libraries staticly so the users who still use a.out library
format will be able to use X Mosaic. The majority of the readers from
comp.os.linux.misc probably already know this, but bear with me. So, it would
be my best guess that it is an inconsistency between Linux distributions
and/or Linux versions which causes this problem. Stranger still, I do not
have the file "nsswitch.conf" on my linux system at all (I do have it on
my SPARC though) and have no problems.

Please let us know if this does NOT fix the problem! I am adding it to the
bug fixes page for 2.7b4 (http://www.veryComputer.com/).

Scott Powers

    Scott W. Powers, NCSA X Mosaic Lead Developer and NCSA Httpd Developer
  National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois at
                            Urbana-Champaign

1. Mosaic-2.7b4 and DNS

Hi!

Mosaic 2.7b3 and 4 under Linux seem to be unable to access the nameserver.

It will access any server via IP numbers-but names result in an error.
It can use the /etc/hosts file but not my ISP's nameserver.
My machine is, to the best of my knowledge, configured for the I-net
correctly. My basic Internet services all work telnet, ftp, rlogin, etc.
Mosaic 2.6 works, Netscape works. All work both directions.
Has anyone else experienced this or not experienced it?
Has anyone fixed this or is it Mosaic?

Thanks!
--
Steve-RedOne
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

http://www.eskimo.com/~redone                      Seattle Washington USA

2. new kernel -> modprobe errors

3. h2n using "DNS Boss" a java GUI for DNS primary's

4. rpc.bootparamd

5. Using Win2000 DNS with BIND DNS

6. How to run an exec linked with glibc2 on a "standard linux" ?

7. using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

8. Recommended Patch Clusters?

9. X Mosaic 2.7b4: What's the 'secret' file?

10. Mosaic 2.7b4 & lesstif - Anyone got this working??

11. Mosaic 2.7b4?

12. cannot print using lpr without PPP connection using Caldera (Red Hat)

13. Libs Needed for Mosaic2.4+term