Xman Error: No manual pages found

Post by kani » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:46:42

Hi all,

Plese execuse me if you have seen this issue before. i am trying to use xman
to view the man pages, /etc/man.config is correct, i don't man $MANPATH
environment variable. so, when i type xman i get this error message: Xman
Error: No manual pages found

what gives here.

thanx
mark

Post by Kevi » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:38:26

> Please excuse me if you have seen this issue before. i am trying to use xman
> to view the man pages, /etc/man.config is correct, i don't man $MANPATH
> environment variable. so, when i type xman i get this error message: Xman
> Error: No manual pages found

xman appears broken on my Mandrake 8.0 system, updated with
all the XFree86-4.2.0-10mdk related packages, and all of the
security updates. xman *used* to work with my original 8.0
system.  Something in the updates broke it.

I've done a little testing and convinced myself that xman
no longer identifies bzip'd manual pages as existing.  An
uncompressed manual page in /usr/X11R6/man/man1 is found; it
wasn't found when compressed (bzip'd).

xman also ignores the MANPATH environment variable.  I
uncompressed a manual page and put it in my local manual stash;
it wasn't found.

Beyond that, when xman finds the manual page, it can't read it
correctly.  Instead it bombs with

    "sh: zsoelim: command not found"

The string "zsoelim" is in the xman binary.  Searching through
the list of files in the entire Mandrake 8.0 PowerPack, the only
zsoelim related files I find are:

    /usr/share/man/de/man1/zsoelim.1.bz2
    /usr/share/man/pl/man1/zsoelim.1.bz2

They don't do much good, even if they were installed on my "en"
system.

Checking on rpmfind.net for zsoelim I find that it's part of the
man-1.5k packages in the "PLD Distribution" and part of the
groff-1.1[78] packages on Redhat, ASP and Yellow Dog
distributions.  I had a look at the ChangeLog for thd PLD man
package and found the note "added zsoelim as link to soelim (it
exists in man_db; xman requires it)" in the log.  I made this
link:

    ln -s soelim /usr/bin/zsoelim

as root.  Now the uncompressed manual page displays just fine
with xman.  The bzip compressed manual pages still aren't found,
unless I specify the manual section, e.g. "rman.1" instead of
"rman".  When I do that, xman finds rman.1x.bz2, treats it as an
uncompressed manual page, and displays garbage.

Oddly enough gzip compressed manual pages *ARE* found.  Looking
through the xman binary, gzip does appear in there, but bzip
doesn't.

For what it's worth, I almost always use TkMan to view manual
pages, but it displays some pages wrong.  In those cases I used
to use xman, but it doesn't work anymore.  So, now I use 'man'
from the command line when TkMan doesn't work.  This isn't nearly
as good as things used to be.

I hope someone can use some of this info to dig deeper and find a
solution.

Cheers....

Post by Kevi » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:39:40

> Please excuse me if you have seen this issue before. i am trying to use xman
> to view the man pages, /etc/man.config is correct, i don't man $MANPATH
> environment variable. so, when i type xman i get this error message: Xman
> Error: No manual pages found

xman appears broken on my Mandrake 8.0 system, updated with
all the XFree86-4.2.0-10mdk related packages, and all of the
security updates. xman *used* to work with my original 8.0
system.  Something in the updates broke it.

I've done a little testing and convinced myself that xman
no longer identifies bzip'd manual pages as existing.  An
uncompressed manual page in /usr/X11R6/man/man1 is found; it
wasn't found when compressed (bzip'd).

xman also ignores the MANPATH environment variable.  I
uncompressed a manual page and put it in my local manual stash;
it wasn't found.

Beyond that, when xman finds the manual page, it can't read it
correctly.  Instead it bombs with

    "sh: zsoelim: command not found"

The string "zsoelim" is in the xman binary.  Searching through
the list of files in the entire Mandrake 8.0 PowerPack, the only
zsoelim related files I find are:

    /usr/share/man/de/man1/zsoelim.1.bz2
    /usr/share/man/pl/man1/zsoelim.1.bz2

They don't do much good, even if they were installed on my "en"
system.

Checking on rpmfind.net for zsoelim I find that it's part of the
man-1.5k packages in the "PLD Distribution" and part of the
groff-1.1[78] packages on Redhat, ASP and Yellow Dog
distributions.  I had a look at the ChangeLog for thd PLD man
package and found the note "added zsoelim as link to soelim (it
exists in man_db; xman requires it)" in the log.  I made this
link:

    ln -s soelim /usr/bin/zsoelim

as root.  Now the uncompressed manual page displays just fine
with xman.  The bzip compressed manual pages still aren't found,
unless I specify the manual section, e.g. "rman.1" instead of
"rman".  When I do that, xman finds rman.1x.bz2, treats it as an
uncompressed manual page, and displays garbage.

Oddly enough gzip compressed manual pages *ARE* found.  Looking
through the xman binary, gzip does appear in there, but bzip
doesn't.

For what it's worth, I almost always use TkMan to view manual
pages, but it displays some pages wrong.  In those cases I used
to use xman, but it doesn't work anymore.  So, now I use 'man'
from the command line when TkMan doesn't work.  This isn't nearly
as good as things used to be.

I hope someone can use some of this info to dig deeper and find a
solution.

Cheers....

1. xman and finding all the man pages

Xman looks at MANPATH.  But I notice that if I call it from a
menu generated from my window manager, it doesn't see my MANPATH.
It sees only the environment of its parent, fvwm, which sees only
the environment of its parent, xdm.  So at what point in the chain
do I insert a MANPATH variable, and in what file?

--

2. looking for Mosaic executable.

3. xman manual sections under Solaris Openwindows

4. Adding AIC7770 support help need

5. Better manual browser (was Re: Xman decoration under Motif?)

7. man-pages-1.16 - manual pages for Linux

8. Linux-ISDN-Router

9. Manual Pages and Doom Errors...

10. How to find nos. of cyl in HD ?

11. Xman and preformatted man pages

12. How about something more than Xman/regular man pages

13. How to add man page for xman?