Redhat 6.1 - Iomega Zip Drive

Post by Stephen Grange » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone had trouble setting up their Iomega 100MB Zip Drive with
Redhat Linux 6.1, running the original kernel image, 2.2.12-20? Before I
was running Redhat 6.0, and Mandrake, and was able to load the ppa
module like so:

%    modprobe    parport

%    modprobe    ppa
# it would load, etc...

%    mount /mnt/iomega-zip
# my /etc/fstab was setup with this line
    /dev/sda4    -t    vfat    /mnt/iomega    #etc

I have a SCSI CDR which loads the aic7xxx module. When I try to load the
ppa module, it gives me usual module is busy message.
I've tried unloading the aic7xxx, lp, parport, modules, and then loading
them up again, with no success.
I recompiled a basic kernel, with the correct settings from the
ZIP-DRIVE-HOWTO, and then tried loading the module, and still had no
success.
What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

[...]

Post by Alistair Hamilto » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:23:23 +1000, Stephen Granger

>Has anyone had trouble setting up their Iomega 100MB Zip Drive with
>Redhat Linux 6.1, running the original kernel image, 2.2.12-20?

Yes! I have just installed RH6.1 and I had Zip problems just as you
report.

Have a look at /var/log/messages. You will see that there is an error:
"cannot locate module parport_lowlevel". This is probably the problem.

Since my printer is on the parallel portI use it in 99.9% of boot
sessions, so I rebuilt the kernel (jeez, its a long time since I
looked at ther settings of a "default" RH kernel -- it is seriously
non-optimal for what I want to do!) with parallel port support
built-in, rather than modularised. (I have "PC-style hardware" and I
also built-in parallel printer supprt and ISOxxxx readback.) The zip
drive now works, no problem.

(I must admit to not having read the HOWTO, so I hope I am not just
repeating wat was said there.)

HTH

Regards,
Alistair.

1. Zip Plus Drive on Redhat 6.1

Has anyone successfully installed the Zip Plus drive onto Redhat 6.1?

I downloaded the driver from the following website:
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/imm.tar.gz).

But when I tried to run  make -f  Makefile.RedHat , I got a series of
errors , mainly because some header files couldn't be found.
For example, the hosts.h and some others which I couldn't remember off
hand.

How do you get around it? Are there some files missing from my system
that I should get?
What are the important files?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. How do I get 2nd word from returned statement?

3. How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

4. Upgrading to 2.4.12 kernel- no module-info file (RedHat 7.1)

5. Iomega Zip & RH 6.1 nightmare

6. shutdown/DOS+Linux SWAP?

7. RedHat-6.2+IOMEGA Zip-100 drive..

8. How do I work GZIP?

9. Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250 drive

10. Redhat 6.0 and IDE Iomega Zip drive

11. RedHat-6.2+IOMEGA Zip-100 drive..

12. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

13. Iomega SCSI Zip drive and Zip Zoom card