Help needed: Font Anti-Aliasing under SuSE Linux 7.3 (KDE 2.2.1) no longer works

Help needed: Font Anti-Aliasing under SuSE Linux 7.3 (KDE 2.2.1) no longer works

Post by Bernd Giese » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:25:52

Hi everybody,

I strongly need your help.

The font anti-aliasing under KDE 2.2.1 (XFree86 v4.x, SuSE 7.3 pro/i386)
doesn't work not for long on my machine. :-(((

The story so far: I've attempted to install and setup additional truetype
fonts (into the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype) using the
kfontinst tool. Of course, I've verified the correct path settings et al. in
kfontinst.

After installation has been finished, I tried to enable Anti-Aliasing in the
kcontrol tool (Appearance/Fonts). After I've logged off, restarted the X
server (in kdm) and logged on again, I still saw the KDE splash screen and
the mini console window in the left lower corner - and that's it. The KDE
desktop did never build up. My only chance was to return to kdm by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

After checking my local KDE settings from a console login, I succeeded to
disable Anti-Aliasing by setting the value "AntiAliasing= false" in the file
~/.kde2/share/config/kdeglobals . So, at least I was able to logon
at/startup KDE again, but without AntiAliasing.

Before I had tried to install additional truetype fonts, enabling and
disabling AntiAliasing always has succeeded.

Who can tell me, what there was going wrong and how can I fix it up without
completely reinstalling my system?
What can I do to become able to enable Anti-Aliasing again?

Thanks in advance,
Bernd

Post by Frank Heltze » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:13:27

> Hi everybody,

> I strongly need your help.

> The font anti-aliasing under KDE 2.2.1 (XFree86 v4.x, SuSE 7.3 pro/i386)
> doesn't work not for long on my machine. :-(((

> The story so far: I've attempted to install and setup additional
truetype
> fonts (into the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype) using the
> kfontinst tool. Of course, I've verified the correct path settings et
al.
> in kfontinst.

> After installation has been finished, I tried to enable Anti-Aliasing in
> the kcontrol tool (Appearance/Fonts). After I've logged off, restarted
the
> X server (in kdm) and logged on again, I still saw the KDE splash screen
> and the mini console window in the left lower corner - and that's it.
The
> KDE desktop did never build up. My only chance was to return to kdm by
> pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

> After checking my local KDE settings from a console login, I succeeded
> disable Anti-Aliasing by setting the value "AntiAliasing= false" in the
> file ~/.kde2/share/config/kdeglobals . So, at least I was able to logon
> at/startup KDE again, but without AntiAliasing.

> Before I had tried to install additional truetype fonts, enabling and
> disabling AntiAliasing always has succeeded.

> Who can tell me, what there was going wrong and how can I fix it up
> without completely reinstalling my system?
> What can I do to become able to enable Anti-Aliasing again?

> Thanks in advance,
> Bernd

Bernd,
In control center-look and feel-fonts change the fonts to the true-type
fonts that you installed and then enable antialiasing, this will give you
very nice fonts when you restart x.

--
Frank

Post by Liz Youn » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:50:15

> Who can tell me, what there was going wrong and how can I fix it up
> without completely reinstalling my system?
> What can I do to become able to enable Anti-Aliasing again?

Hi Bernd,

If you haven't reinstalled your system yet,  try renaming your .kde2
directory at a console login and start with a fresh kde session.  I
recently had an x server crash that ruined AA (and a bunch of other stuff)
in the old session and that trick saved me.

SuSE has a script - /usr/X11R6/bin/fetchmsttfonts - for downloading and
installing MS TTF's.  If you inspect the end of the script you may find
some useful commands for building the fonts.scale and fonts.dir files
correctly.   With that and the latest freetype update, my fonts have never
looked better.  Hope that helps,

-Liz