Linux & Motif

Post by les gra » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 17:57:18

Hi folks
        I am sorry if this is a FAQ, I have not been taking this group very
long. I have an interest in writing Motif software with Linux. I know Motif
runs under Linux but can I get the necessary to build a Motif application
under Linux? I guess that I need some Motif development libraries at least.
This lot will be running on a PC. So if some kind soul could let me
know    a) can one develop Motif applications under Motif
        b) if so, where can I get all the necessary

                thanks in advance
                        les

-- les grant    ----------- Tel:   041-886-2201    (+44-41-886-2201) -------
-- for himself        ----- Fax:   041-885-3370    (+44-41-885-3370) -------

Linux & Motif

Post by les gra » Tue, 07 Jun 1994 17:50:45

Hi folks
        I got a UK source and have parted with dosh. Thank you all for your
mail and your suggestions. Much appreciated!

                        regards
                                les

-- les grant    ----------- Tel:   041-886-2201    (+44-41-886-2201) -------
--                    ----- Fax:   041-885-3370    (+44-41-885-3370) -------

1. LINUX & MOTIF

: To all GURUs

: I have a 120 MB HD that may be dedicated
: to linux.  However, before going through the trouble,
: I was wondering if linux supports MOTIF specs?
: and how much space do I really need if I
: want to run LINUX, X-WIndows, EMACS, and GCC, and MOTIF libraries?

: Thanks.

: le

: ps. where can I get it too?

I install the Slackware Pro 2.1 distribution and loaded X, Emacs and all the
GNU stuff (no TeX) and I'm using about 140M (if my memory isn't shot). I
don't think Motif is more than a handful of floppies (perhaps 5?), so that
shouldn't add more than 10 or 15 meg. Looks like you'll need a bigger drive,
but I've also got Tcl/Tk and some other stuff loaded, so you might make it.

I'm aware of two Motif vendors: Metro Link and SWiM. I believe that the last
reliable X/Motif version is Motif 1.2.4 running on X11R5 (XFree 2.1). It
seems that people are complaining about bugs when using Motif 2.0...
`
Hope this helps,

Garry Simmons

2. Trantor T348 Parallel SCSI Host Adapter

3. Linux & Motif

4. FC4@Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S

5. Motif & DDD & Nedit & characters not in font

6. WP Office Products on Linux?

7. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT

8. f2c: where is libF77, libI77?

10. Motif++ available for linux/Metrolink Motif

11. Check me on use of Linux/XFree86 & Solaris w Motif app