RH8 -> RH9, worth it?

Post by DaveDieg » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:23:18

 I just isntalled RH8 last weekend, I didn't know RH9 was out. Is it
worth upgrading or should I wait?

 I am having problems with arts sound server, it had been working fine in
RH7.2. Now after it plays the first sound, I have no sound until I restart
KDE.

RH8 -> RH9, worth it?

Post by J. Padro » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:37:15

>  I just isntalled RH8 last weekend, I didn't know RH9 was out. Is it
> worth upgrading or should I wait?

>  I am having problems with arts sound server, it had been working fine in
> RH7.2. Now after it plays the first sound, I have no sound until I restart
> KDE.

It really depends how much you care about the few things that changed
from RHL 8 to RHL 9.

Personally, I never liked Linux on my desktop because the GUI fonts were
horrible, compared to the Windows fonts. However, now that I upgraded
from RHL 8 to RHL 9, my fonts are much better than those of Windows.

With RHL 8, my second disk was finally dedicated to Linux while my first
disk was running Windows XP Pro. With RHL 9, I deleted my Windows disk
and my computers only run Linux.

RH8 -> RH9, worth it?

Post by Kerry Co » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:28:26

>  I just isntalled RH8 last weekend, I didn't know RH9 was out. Is it
> worth upgrading or should I wait?

>  I am having problems with arts sound server, it had been working fine in
> RH7.2. Now after it plays the first sound, I have no sound until I restart
> KDE.

I just upgraded my RH7.3 desktop to RH9 and am enjoying the change. The
fonts (when anti-aliased) are MUCH better than before. It really looks
great now. Also, with 9 you can finally use the menu editor again under
KDE. This option was dead in 8.0 and is one reason why I waited until now.
I prefer custom configuring my menu with links to all the servers here in
teh network. Makes things MUCH nicer.
I'd say it is worth the upgrade. Things appear cleaner and crisper. You may
still need to do some tweaking and tuning here and there to get things to
work and appear as before, but that's the fun part of Linux.
KJ