how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Rick Bar » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to connect
a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
connection?

Thanks for any replies.

Post by Adrian Hand » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to connect
> a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
> connection?

> Thanks for any replies.

Yes, definately.
There are lots of things you could mean by "connect" but I'll assume
what you're after is just sharing one dialup ppp connection.

You'll need to look at the appropriate HOW-TOs.
If TCP/IP is new to you, you probably should pickup a book on it,
there's books widely available that are specifically on "linux
networking".

This is a *very* common question, you can probably find lots of help by
searching http://www.deja.com .

Put an ethernet card in each machine and tie them together with a hub.
Assign each box an IP address in one of the ranges reserved for internal
lans (e.g. 10.x.x.x).
Put the modem in the linux box, this will be your gateway and firewall.
On each of the other boxes, put the linux box's IP address as the
gateway or "default route".
Make sure the "ipchains" rpm is installed on your linux box.
Use "ipchains" to configure the linux box for fowarding and
masquerading.

Feel free to email me if you get stuck.

Have fun!

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Jack Farme » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I only have 1 question,

Why in the world would you wantr to WASTE your time with ANYTHING WhimpDoze
when you already have Linux up and running?

We have 8 machines here 2 whimpNT's 1 whimp95 and rest Linux running on a
comerical site T1 and the ONLY ones we have NO problems and never need to
re-boot qare the Linux ones.

Thewy are the hard core servers resWhimpDoze don't even make good game
machines..

L8R

Post by sledd » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to connect
>a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
>connection?

>Thanks for any replies.

Presumeably you mean "share a modem connection" to the Internet? If so...

Install a network card in each and establish networking with TCP/IP. Install
ipchains on the Linux machine and use that machine to connect to the Internet.
You can then configure ipchains to forward to the Win98 machine. I'm doing
exactly that now with a Linux 486 machine and a WinNT workstation.

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Josep » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Yes.  You have to make one computer a gateway/proxy

I've got Linux to handle that task, ( with no gui installed) because
NT/95/98's hardware requirement to do the same is too expensive for me .

Connect both machines using TCP networking.
set up pppd ( as a first ) on the LInux machine.
Make the Linux computer the gateway.
Activate MASQ on linux using ipchains ( rh6.0 and up) or ipfwadm ( rh 5.x)
For other machines, set up the gateway field to point to the LInux machine.

now, to use the modem, log in to Linux and dial out. then from the windows
computer you can surf or do what you want, and you can also get the linux
machine to do some ftp downloads etc.

When you're finished, run the script to hang up.

Or you can use the diald package to dial out automatically as needed.

The howto's needed are ( incomplete list)
ISP howtp
ppp howto
Net 3 howto ( if net 4 is available, use it)
FIrewal How to
Ipchains howto

Note : firewall howto is to make system a bit more secure ( like prevent
unwanted connections etc)
ipchains is what allows you to do MASQ ( aka ip-masquerading).

Good luck.

<snip>

>> I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to connect
>> a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
>> connection?

>> Thanks for any replies.

>> --

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by David Irwi » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

If you want to put the modem in the linux machine (best way) you'll need
to setup ip masquerading. Good instructions on how to do all of the setup
can be found at http://eunuchs.org/linux/ip_masq/ip_masq_content.html.  If
you want to share the connection through the win98 box you can use a proxy
server.  I use to use Gatekeeper which can be downloaded at
http://www.infopulse.net/store/index.html.  I found using a linux machine
as an internet gateway is best because of the stability.

-David Irwin

Post by <bpaep.. » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to
connect
> > a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
> > connection?

> > Thanks for any replies.

> Yes, definately.
> There are lots of things you could mean by "connect" but I'll assume
> what you're after is just sharing one dialup ppp connection.

> You'll need to look at the appropriate HOW-TOs.
> If TCP/IP is new to you, you probably should pickup a book on it,
> there's books widely available that are specifically on "linux
> networking".

> This is a *very* common question, you can probably find lots of help by
> searching http://www.deja.com .

> Put an ethernet card in each machine and tie them together with a hub.
> Assign each box an IP address in one of the ranges reserved for internal
> lans (e.g. 10.x.x.x).
> Put the modem in the linux box, this will be your gateway and firewall.
> On each of the other boxes, put the linux box's IP address as the
> gateway or "default route".
> Make sure the "ipchains" rpm is installed on your linux box.
> Use "ipchains" to configure the linux box for fowarding and
> masquerading.

> Feel free to email me if you get stuck.

> Have fun!

There is another way you can do that is to download a program called Sygate
 and install it on the win98 machine as a server.  On the Linux machine go
into control panel setup networking to point the gateway to the win98 IP
address and set the dns on Linux to the Dns for your ISP also you will have
to give Linux it's own IP address I use 192.168.0.2  and 192.168.0.1 for my
win98 machine.
 To check that your network it working you can ping the win98 from Linux it
should respond indicating it can talk to the win98 computer.
  I hope this helps you I run this config with no problem email me if you
have any questions,,,,,,

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Dirty Old M » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm a newbie and if this old man can do any can.  I've installed Corel
Linux (Debian) and Samba was installed automatically during
installation.  I just had to setup my network settings to match my
Win98 machines and turn Samba on after rebooting everything worked.

I have 1 Win98 machine (with a WinModem) acting as a proxy server - I
have Sygate 3.11 on it - My computer (duel boot Win98 & Linux) goes
thru it to the internet - my wife is still running Win98 and I can get
into her directories and get files that I need from her and I can also
print - but still having problems with her new HP882c printer.

Quote:>I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to connect
>a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
>connection?

>Thanks for any replies.

>--

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Adam » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

For one thing, MS Office provides spellcheck software...
but that's another tangent.

Seriously, there are those of us who don't use commercial site T1s, have
just got Linux, would rather have universal compatibility than system
stability, or have no need for a, as you put it, "hard core server."  Not
to say I'm one of them, but as a Devil's Advocate, such people do exist.
Deal with it.

> I only have 1 question,

> Why in the world would you wantr to WASTE your time with ANYTHING
WhimpDoze
> when you already have Linux up and running?

> We have 8 machines here 2 whimpNT's 1 whimp95 and rest Linux running on a
> comerical site T1 and the ONLY ones we have NO problems and never need to
> re-boot qare the Linux ones.

> Thewy are the hard core servers resWhimpDoze don't even make good game
> machines..

> L8R

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Rick Bar » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

 I thank you all for replying to my question, as lame as it may have
seemed to some of you. I just installed Linux on the 13th and have been
reading alot and refering to the man pages alot too. While I would agree
that WIN BLOWS, I bought my win98 machine a year ago and it is entirely
USB, save the one parallel port, and since there is not yet usb support
for linux and am not interested in getting rid of a perfectly good
machine, I went out and bought a 486 to experiment with.
 One thing that has impressed me very much is the amount of useful
replies. I have asked 'stupid questions'before on various topics (not
linux related) and received mostly flames.
 I thank you all for your help.

gratefully,
Rick Barr

Post by f.s.jabi » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I know that this may be a stupid question but...Is there a way to
connect
> a linux machine with a win98 machine and allow them to share a modem
> connection?

> Thanks for any replies.

> --

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by echone » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

hello Rick Barr
i my self have the same problem,
i found my self with all linux "how to's" and i got lost in it!
can you tell me how to connect my win98 to my suse linux ?
that will be grate, thanks.

echonet
alpha omega systems ltd

how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

Post by Fred » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

It's a very specific question (in one way) and very generic (in
another).

It's very generic because you don't say how you want to do it.

For example, you can connect them with a parallel cable, you can connect
them with a serial cable, you can connect them with an ethernet cable,
or you can just tie ends of a string to each machine and call them
"connected".  If you are just experimenting, then you might want to
start with a null modem cable (basically a crossover serial cable) and
directly connect the two machines.  It will be slow, though, but it's a
cheap way to learn.

It's also a very specific question because your only requirement is that
they be connected.  Do you mean connected like IP connected?  Or just
enough to transfer a file between the two machines every once in a
while?

Your best bet is to use ethernet.  You need a network adapter in each
machine, and either a crossover ethernet cable, or a hub that allows
several ethernet lines.

I have a cable modem (this is besides the point), and find that 10bT
works just fine, so I saved some money in the short term by not
insisting on 100bT or a combination, since 10bT is the weak link anyway.

On each machine you need to configure the card - there are howto's about
how to do this, and since each card may require some special handling, I
am not going to discuss it.  But once they are working, you need to give
each computer an address (and a name would be nice), and then you need
to proceed on to setting up other services that you want.

In my specific case, I bought a Hawking network * kit from an
online auction for $24.00.  It included 2 100bT plug and play PCI cards
and a crossover ethernet cable.  I also bought, for about $11.00 at the
same auction, a 10bT Ne2000 compatible ISA card.  The ISA card went into
the Linux machine, and the two 100bT cards went into the Windows98
machine.  The cable modem goes to one of the 100bT cards on Windows (the
installers would not install it on the Linux box, or even on a machine
on a LAN - I had to take the second card out for them to install it).
The second 100bT card connects to the Linux box via the crossover
cable.  Windows 98 runs Proxy+, a free proxy program (if you have up to
three users, I think it is...), so that I can surf the web with Linux,
and do some ftp transfers and other stuff.  I have most features
disabled...like the mail stuff, so that no one can use my machine to
spam.

What I'd like to do with some older machines is to create a Firewall
with ipchains (formerly known as ip masquerading) and have a hub.  I
have a four port hub and some more cards on the way, but they're PCI and
I'd like to find some old Ne2000 ISA compatible cards, if anyone knows
where they can be found.

Anyhow, good luck.  If you are a beginner, you will need to read a lot
of howto's - first to get your cards configured, then to set up the
network parameters.

Before you buy.

1. How do you connect a Linux machine to a Windows machine?

System: 480DX2 CPU at 80MHz
Operating System: Red Hat Linux 5.1
Network Card: Novell, model ???
Hub: Asante NetExtender Hub (3 ports + 1 uplink connector)
System Interface: ISA

I am trying to connect it to a Windows NT 4.0 (Server) machine. On my 486,
I have a Novell network card that is connected to a hub via an external
pin connector. (I also have an internal modem which has not been
installed, and I do not intend to. Should I remove it?) The NT machine has
a network card that is connected to the first 10BaseT connector. The NT
machine has a modem that connects to the Internet. I want to connect my
Linux machine to the NT machine so it can also get Internet access. How do
I do this?

Do I have to set up any IP addresses? The name of my Linux machine is amir
and the name of the NT machine is pc404hp. I can ping 127.0.0.1 and amir.
How do I set up the eth0 or ne interface and how do I assign an IP address
to it? Will I have to use Samba?

Anyone help me!!

Amir Malik

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Printing problem for "normal" users in x86

3. Linux connecting Win98 machines

4. unknown socket on port 1, raw

5. Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

6. Visioneer OneTouch 8700 USB scanner and redhat??

7. Can I connect to a database in a Linux box from a Win98 machine?

8. No GUI on linux

9. Linux connecting Win98 machines

10. HELP : need info on how to connect a win98 box to a linux machine

11. HELP : need help on how to connect a win98 box to a linux machine

12. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux