Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

Post by Carsten Turne » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:19:19

Greetings!
I'm running RH 7.1 on a hand-me-down generic P133.  Since day one, the
monitor has had bouts with intermittent noise (dots appearing, a few at
first, then propagating to take on the whole screen) that comes and goes
about every 15 minutes.  Then, this afternoon, for no good reason, the
system hung, and I was forced to restart using the reset key.
Now, when I try and reboot, it gets as far as checking the root file
system, and that produces a message "/ contains a file system with
errors, check forced."  It checks and returns with a message of
"Unattached inode 336" and then "/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)  [failed]
I get sent to a shell, where I can enter the root password, and that's
the point where I am totally lost.
Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to remedy this?
Thanks,
-=>Carsten:-)

Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:37:21

> Greetings!
> I'm running RH 7.1 on a hand-me-down generic P133.  Since day one, the
> monitor has had bouts with intermittent noise (dots appearing, a few at
> first, then propagating to take on the whole screen) that comes and goes
> about every 15 minutes.  Then, this afternoon, for no good reason, the
> system hung, and I was forced to restart using the reset key.
> Now, when I try and reboot, it gets as far as checking the root file
> system, and that produces a message "/ contains a file system with
> errors, check forced."  It checks and returns with a message of
> "Unattached inode 336" and then "/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
> MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)  [failed]
> I get sent to a shell, where I can enter the root password, and that's
> the point where I am totally lost.
> Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to remedy this?
> Thanks,
> -=>Carsten:-)

It will give you the option of logging in to a shell. Do so.

# e2fsck -y /

should fix it.

A bit of advice.  Linux is not Windows.  When the GUI fails it is not
necessary to hit the reset switch.  Give the system the modified Vulcan
Death Grip of [Ctl] - [Alt] - [Backspace} and the GUI will die while Linux
keeps running.

If Linux actually hangs ( an extremely rare event ) you may be able to
gracefully kill the system using the "Magic SysRq key" sequences.  When you
get booted up again read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.

Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

Post by Robert Wapple » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:34:25

> Greetings!
> I'm running RH 7.1 on a hand-me-down generic P133.  Since day one, the
> monitor has had bouts with intermittent noise (dots appearing, a few at
> first, then propagating to take on the whole screen) that comes and goes
> about every 15 minutes.  Then, this afternoon, for no good reason, the
> system hung, and I was forced to restart using the reset key.
> Now, when I try and reboot, it gets as far as checking the root file
> system, and that produces a message "/ contains a file system with
> errors, check forced."  It checks and returns with a message of
> "Unattached inode 336" and then "/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
> MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)  [failed]
> I get sent to a shell, where I can enter the root password, and that's
> the point where I am totally lost.
> Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to remedy this?
> Thanks,
> -=>Carsten:-)

when lilo prompts on startup type, type "<kernel name> single". The system
sould  not ask for the password now. Then run your checks and try to
reboot, if you could fix all.
Unfortunately I can't explain the behaviour of your system.

Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

Post by Carsten Turne » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:36:48

I just tried that and the resultant message came back that the superblock
couldn't be read or doesn't describe a correct ext2 filesystem.  It continues
that if the device is valid and contains an ext2 filesystem, then the
superblock is corrupt, and I might try again with an alternate superblock,
efsck -b 8193 <device>.  This I tried, entering in /dev/hda1 for the device,
and I got a line of 'stuff' followed by the message 'Bad magic number in
super-block while trying to open /dev/hda1'
I see the word 'magic' there.  Am I still in Kansas, Toto?
Thanks (to the posters to the list as well as those who responded off-line)
for the help.
-=>Carsten:-)

> > Greetings!
> > I'm running RH 7.1 on a hand-me-down generic P133.  Since day one, the
> > monitor has had bouts with intermittent noise (dots appearing, a few at
> > first, then propagating to take on the whole screen) that comes and goes
> > about every 15 minutes.  Then, this afternoon, for no good reason, the
> > system hung, and I was forced to restart using the reset key.
> > Now, when I try and reboot, it gets as far as checking the root file
> > system, and that produces a message "/ contains a file system with
> > errors, check forced."  It checks and returns with a message of
> > "Unattached inode 336" and then "/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
> > MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)  [failed]
> > I get sent to a shell, where I can enter the root password, and that's
> > the point where I am totally lost.
> > Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to remedy this?
> > Thanks,
> > -=>Carsten:-)

> It will give you the option of logging in to a shell. Do so.

> # e2fsck -y /

> should fix it.

> A bit of advice.  Linux is not Windows.  When the GUI fails it is not
> necessary to hit the reset switch.  Give the system the modified Vulcan
> Death Grip of [Ctl] - [Alt] - [Backspace} and the GUI will die while Linux
> keeps running.

> If Linux actually hangs ( an extremely rare event ) you may be able to
> gracefully kill the system using the "Magic SysRq key" sequences.  When you
> get booted up again read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.

1. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

Help!?

I am a newbie so be gentle ;)
I have a Toshiba Satellite 110CS on which I have installed RH 7.1.  I have
a Netgear FA411 ethernet card (says on box it is supported by Linux, haha)
and I can't get it to run.  I was able to install RH 7.0 at first and was
able (with help of a friend) to use the pcmcia card to download the
contents of both RH 7.1 cds and installed an upgrade to 7.1.  As soon as we
completed the installation we could never again get the card to work.
Everytime the machine boots up I get an error when it comes to "Bringing up
interface eth0" it fails and says Insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused
by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters"

I have tried using tsetup (toshiba laptop cmos setup) to change the
external serial port to Com2, Com3 etc and finally disabled to prevent any
potential interrupt conflicts.  I have spent a couple of days researching
this on the net and with my friend and still have not found an answer.  If
anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

Darin
--
If you want to reply by email just  lose the  n-o-s-p-a-m

2. FREE Slackware CDROMs - First Come, First Served

3. Anon FTP won't allow upload - RH 7.1

4. Network Driver for NOVELL NE/2 Ethernet-Card

5. WP Office 2000 won';t run with rh 7.1

6. Unixware 2.1.1, I only get TCP and SPX installation methods when installing

7. rh 7.1 won't shutdown properly

8. Child shell affecting parent question?

9. eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

10. 2.4.2-2 kernel compiles-won't load - RH 7.1

11. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

12. HELP: Mandrake 7.1 Won't Complete Boot

13. can't install RH 7.1 from boot disk