Looking for Admin Book

Post by Kern » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am looking for a good up to date sys admin book.

Any sugestions?

Looking for Admin Book

Post by Julian Midgl » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hello all,

>I am looking for a good up to date sys admin book.

>Any sugestions?

For general Linux administration, "Running Linux" published by
O'Reilly Associates, is probably your best bet.  The third edition has
just been published- you can order it from Amazon, and it may be out
in bookshops in the UK- I haven't had a chance to look myself yet.

Essential System Administration, again from O'Reilly, is another
useful book; it's not Linux specific, and is particularly useful if
you occasionally find yourself using unfamiliar Unices.

All the best,

Julian

--
Julian Midgley

Zeus Technology                         http://www.zeustechnology.com

Looking for Admin Book

Post by Frank Shixiang Ya » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all,

> I am looking for a good up to date sys admin book.

> Any sugestions?

"Essential System Administration" it's a nice book from O'Reilly.

Looking for Admin Book

Post by Lew Pitch » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Several of the guides written by the Linux Documentation Project
have been published by O'Reilly. You can pick up a machine readable
version of - "The Linux Installation and Getting Started Guide" at
             http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/install-guide/
           - "The Linux System Administrator's Guide" at
             http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/system-admin-...
           - "The Linux Network Administrator's Guide" at
             http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/network-guide/
           - "The Linux Programmer's Guide" at
             http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/programmers-g...
           - "The Linux User's Guide" at
             http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/users-guide/
or in book form at your favourite bookstore.

There is also a "Linux Administration Made Easy (L.A.M.E.) web site at
http://www.LinuxNinja.com/linux-admin/ that has machine readable versions
of their "Linux Administration Made Easy" document available for download.

>> Hello all,

>> I am looking for a good up to date sys admin book.

>> Any sugestions?

>"Essential System Administration" it's a nice book from O'Reilly.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

1. Looking for admin book recommendation

I'm looking for a admin book which contains information on policies,
rather than just how to set up services.  An example of the type of info
I'm looking for is "if you want users to be able to log into any machine,
you need a central password file (use NIS) and NFS mount the home
directories".  I'd like info on why certain options would be used, not
just what options are available.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Phil

2. changing host name?

3. Looking for Solaris 2.6 SUN Admin Book (SUN 287 , Admin II)

4. Help Configure Number Nine Imagine 128

5. looking for an admin book...

6. can't get path

7. LOOKING FOR GOOD LINUX SYS ADMIN BOOK

8. Mandrake PPC?!

9. Looking for a book (sys-admin)

10. Looking for a good book on Solaris x86 Admin

11. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

12. admin user can't admin non-admin groups

13. FS: Book aix, Book x, Book network