Best way to partition/installf Linux as a 2nd OS?

Best way to partition/installf Linux as a 2nd OS?

Post by Kile » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am going to install Debian Linux as a second OS along with win98 which
is already installed.  Should I use partition magic or another utility?
What is the best/easiest way?  I know that I dont have to use these
utilities and that the installation disk will allow me to do whatever I
need to do in order to install Linux, but this is new territoy for me and
any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best way to partition/installf Linux as a 2nd OS?

Post by Stu » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

If you have partition majic use it.  If not the easiest thing to do would
be to back up windows install linux on first half of hdd and then install
windows.  Using lilo as boot manager.
question email me

> I am going to install Debian Linux as a second OS along with win98 which
> is already installed.  Should I use partition magic or another utility?
> What is the best/easiest way?  I know that I dont have to use these
> utilities and that the installation disk will allow me to do whatever I
> need to do in order to install Linux, but this is new territoy for me and
> any input would be greatly appreciated.

> --

Best way to partition/installf Linux as a 2nd OS?

Post by ppars.. » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

What I did is reinstall Win98 and install linux. Kinda a pain but Win98
was getting buggy anyway. Restart in DOS and run FDISK and delete the
old partition and then create a new one for Win98 and a new one for
Linux (extended DOS). Then reinstall Win98 with the CD and then install
Linux (I used Disk Druid to make the partitions). Make at least 3
partitions - #1 for the swap file(size of RAM), #2 for the /(whatever
you want), #3 for /boot (16 megs)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.