fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by 3Y » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
Win95, I am not one of them.

So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different
way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
managers.

Jon Spain

Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by David Lindgr » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
>where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
>managers.

fvwm95-2 is just fvwm-2 configured to look like windoze95.  The config
files can be found in /etc/X11/TheNextLevel/

They are all hidden files but a simple ls -a should reveal them all.

HTH

Dave

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by Daniel Robert Frankl » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>>way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
>>where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
>>managers.

Install fvwm2 and put this in your ~/.xinitrc (or edit the system wide
one, /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (I think that's where it is on RedHat)

exec fvwm2

(no & at the end!)

Quote:>fvwm95-2 is just fvwm-2 configured to look like windoze95.  The config
>files can be found in /etc/X11/TheNextLevel/

No it isn't. fvwm95 is a window manager which is BASED on fvwm2, but is a
different beast altogether. For those who like the 95 look there is
another WM called qvwm... a link is to be found on

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/others.html

which does a MUCH more convincing imitation, though rather buggy at the
moment (actually that's a perfect imitation ;-)

For those that don't, check out WindowMaker (http://www.windowmaker.org)
or one of the many other WMs on the aforementioned site.

--
- Daniel

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by bob » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I recommend installing Redhat 5.0, it lets you make your X Windows look all
kickass Wu-TANG WORKSTATION SILICON Graphics style :).  You know, like a
kickass UNIX Workstation.

> I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

> When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
> fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
> Win95, I am not one of them.

> So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different
> way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
> where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
> managers.

> Jon Spain

> Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

1. fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
Win95, I am not one of them.

So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
managers.

Jon Spain

Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

2. RH 5.0 network fails 2 minutes after boot

3. fvwm95 or fvwm95-2

4. reverse proxy

5. fvwm95 core dumps immediately (try again)

6. Trident TGUI9680

7. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

8. upgrading binutils

9. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

10. Again, again, and again

11. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

12. fvwm95-2.0.43a

13. fvwm95-2...can't run it...