insmod: 'couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for'

insmod: 'couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for'

Post by Robert Helle » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to build a boot/rescue disk set for use with my laptop.  The
laptop's LCD panel recently died and it looks like I might have to get a
replacement machine.  Except for the screen the machine is fine -- it
works with an external monitor, however, lugging even a 13" monitor
defeats the whole point of a laptop.

I am running RedHat 5.2 on this machine.  Given the hassle involved in
installing Linux in the first place, I want to try an easier solution.
I have been using a PCMCIA EtherNet card (3Com 3C589) to back up the
machine with tar using tar RMT hack to a (SCSI) tape drive on my main
system.  I figure if I can create a boot/rescue with fisk, mkdir,
mke2fs, tar, and a functioning network, I could use this to 'restore' a
backup of my current laptop to a new laptop.

I downloaded yard and have created a boot/rescue disk set (2 disks), but
when I try to run the pcmcia startup, I get the message:

couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

from insmod.  I am assuming I am missing some magic file or something,
but I cannot figure out what is missing.

The man pages are not really helpful and nothing in the other
documentation that I can find is helpful either.  Can someone more
knowledgeable about insmod give me a clue as to what is missing?

Thanks in advance.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153