List-like tool for Linux

Post by Bob Nels » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Is anyone aware of a utility that *closely* approximates Vern Buerg's
excellent LIST.COM (available on MS-DOS platforms) program?

In particular, I'm looking for a viewing/browsing utility that:

1). Neither wraps nor truncates long text lines (a la less) but simply
    allows horizontal scrolling.
2). Supports fixed-length record file viewing.
3). Allows toggling between hex and ASCII mode.
4). Has a "ruler" to show column locations (especially important for
    fixed length record, of course).
5). Multiple file support -- split screens for each file.

I've tried the following and all fall well short of LIST.COM on the
aformentioned points:

beav 1.40s, most 4.4, mc 2.1, mc 3.0, less 290, nvi 3.0, emacs 19.29,
jed 097-12, and of course od and hexdump :)

Anything better?

      Linux for fun, M$ for $$$...and the NFL for what really counts!

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Erik Vasaas » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Is anyone aware of a utility that *closely* approximates Vern Buerg's
>excellent LIST.COM (available on MS-DOS platforms) program?
>Anything better?

There was a direct clone of list, but I don't really remember if it
supported any of the stuff you mention.. This was about 1.5 years
ago, but it should still be available out there somewhere.
(Had it aliased to 'l' some 2 harddisks ago.. ;)

Erik

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Bob Nels » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> >Is anyone aware of a utility that *closely* approximates Vern Buerg's
>> >excellent LIST.COM (available on MS-DOS platforms) program?
>> >Anything better?
>> There was a direct clone of list, but I don't really remember if it
>> supported any of the stuff you mention.. This was about 1.5 years
>> ago, but it should still be available out there somewhere.
>> (Had it aliased to 'l' some 2 harddisks ago.. ;)

Please don't tell me it was mlist...as did the following surely
well-intentioned poster:

Quote:> try "mlist" or write yourself and for us all a list(tm) clone. :-)

Tried it -- and, with all due respect to the author, it is woefully
inadequate. I guess the first hint should've been the void main()
construct in the source code. :-(

I'd write one -- but I'm more concerned with writing applications as
opposed to tools. (That seems to be a common suggestion in the Linux
world to: "write it yourself!"). That line of thinking is similiar
to asking a carpenter to create his own hammer. Sorry -- I'll let
experts in that aspect of the trade do what they do best.

It's a shame that what is touted as a far superior operating system
doesn't appear have a tool comparable to LIST.COM from the "lowly"
world of MS-DOS.

Post by Michael Nelso » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> It's a shame that what is touted as a far superior operating system
> doesn't appear have a tool comparable to LIST.COM from the "lowly"
> world of MS-DOS.

Get over it, Bob.  There are a few things we have in the UNIX world they
wish they had in the DOS world, too.

        Michael

Mountain View, California                                 1-415-390-2294

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Bob Nels » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> > It's a shame that what is touted as a far superior operating system
>> > doesn't appear have a tool comparable to LIST.COM from the "lowly"
>> > world of MS-DOS.
>> Get over it, Bob.  There are a few things we have in the UNIX world they
>> wish they had in the DOS world, too.

Michael:

For someone associated with a high-profile, respected firm like SGI, I
am somewhat surprised by your low content, flame-like response. Again,
my point is that I (and others who have responded via e-mail) would like
to see a browser that matched, feature for feature, the capabilities
of LIST.COM available for those of us who also use Linux. Yes, there
are quite a few things that the Unix world has that do not exist in
MS-DOS. It also works the other way too.

Looking at mildly insulting lead in remark, "Get over it..." -- does
that mean that we who use Linux should simply be satisfied with the
status quo state of application availability?

Post by Dave Pearso » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'd write one -- but I'm more concerned with writing applications as
> opposed to tools. (That seems to be a common suggestion in the Linux
> world to: "write it yourself!").

Isn't that why the Linux "world" exists, becuse people do write it
themselves and then make it available? Ok, I use far more than I write,
and nothing I've written has been put "out there", mostly because I'm
still getting into it and nothing I've written would be of much use to
anyone else but it helps my system run smoother.

For example, I use efax for the sending and receiving of faxes. However,
I didn't like the queueing and printing system, it's a bit long winded.
So, I sat down for a hour with a copy of perl, a copy of GS and a copy
of dialog and wrote a "simple" point and shoot printing system. If I sat
and waited for someone else to write it for me I could be waiting forever.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if you can't/don't want to
code it yourself then it's not exactly "fair" to complain that "they"
(whoever "they" are) haven't written it for you.

Quote:> That line of thinking is similiar to asking a carpenter to create his
> own hammer. Sorry -- I'll let experts in that aspect of the trade do
> what they do best.

Well, if we were talking about a commercial OS or a commercial develoment
tool then I'd agree with you, but Linux ain't that is it? Linux is proof
that "homebrew" is still alive and kicking.

Quote:> It's a shame that what is touted as a far superior operating system
> doesn't appear have a tool comparable to LIST.COM from the "lowly"
> world of MS-DOS.

Well, depending on what you want to do it's got plenty. "less" works for
me most of the time, Midnight Commander is a nice NC clone etc... If anyone
deserves "hassle" about a Linux version of LIST then should it not be the
author of LIST who you should write to?

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Dave Pearson              | If little else, the brain is an educational toy |

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Dave Pearso » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Looking at mildly insulting lead in remark, "Get over it..." -- does
> that mean that we who use Linux should simply be satisfied with the
> status quo state of application availability?

Are you saying that because *you* want this utility then someone else out
there in the Linux *should* write it for you?

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Post by Andrew Snyd » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>> Get over it, Bob.  There are a few things we have in the UNIX world they
>>> wish they had in the DOS world, too.
>Michael:
>For someone associated with a high-profile, respected firm like SGI, I
>am somewhat surprised by your low content, flame-like response. Again,
>my point is that I (and others who have responded via e-mail) would like
>to see a browser that matched, feature for feature, the capabilities
>of LIST.COM available for those of us who also use Linux. Yes, there
>are quite a few things that the Unix world has that do not exist in
>MS-DOS. It also works the other way too.
>Looking at mildly insulting lead in remark, "Get over it..." -- does
>that mean that we who use Linux should simply be satisfied with the
>status quo state of application availability?

No, it means that if you are a Linux (or other unix) user you can be a
developer too.  If this LIST.COM thing is so great, why don't you guys
get together and write it?

>--
>=============================================================================

>      Linux for fun, M$ for $$$...and the NFL for what really counts!
>=============================================================================

Andrew Snyder

char disclaimer[] = {'\0'}; /* I'm on cash net */

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Bob Nels » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> > Looking at mildly insulting lead in remark, "Get over it..." -- does
>> > that mean that we who use Linux should simply be satisfied with the
>> > status quo state of application availability?
>> Are you saying that because *you* want this utility then someone else out
>> there in the Linux *should* write it for you?

Not at all.

It it is shame that a superior OS doesn't have many of the tools and
applications that are available elsewhere. My post was not intended as
a demand that someone "out there" write tools for me. Instead, it was
intended to show my surprise that such a useful tool doesn't already
have a counterpart in Linux. (If you haven't used LIST.COM, then you'll
know that it is quite valuable -- especially for examining fixed-length
binary files).

Considering how much easier it is to develop under the Linux environment,
allied with the surge of programmer's interest in the platform it is
somewhat astonishing that -- even in the few years that Linux has been
around -- that utilities such as LIST.COM, SHEZ.EXE (that have been
around in MS-DOS for almost a decade) haven't *already* been written
for Linux.

I might add that if Linux is as widespread as it appears to be, I am
looking forward to the day when I can walk into CompUSA and purchase
software off the shelf for Linux. (And if Linux's popularity is indeed
reaching a point of critical mass -- the mainstream vendors and
distributors will naturally find it to be in their self-interest to
provide applications for the Linux world).

      Linux for fun, M$ for $$$...and the NFL for what really counts!

List-like tool for Linux

Post by David L. Johnso » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Stupid question:  What does LIST.COM do?  I bet its functionality is
already available.

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Miguel de Ica » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> beav 1.40s, most 4.4, mc 2.1, mc 3.0, less 290, nvi 3.0, emacs 19.29,
> jed 097-12, and of course od and hexdump :)

Since you were talking about the Midnight Commander :-)

Quote:> 1). Neither wraps nor truncates long text lines (a la less) but simply
>     allows horizontal scrolling.

What do you mean by "a la less", the Midnight Commander does both:
wrapping or truncating of long lines.

Quote:> 2). Supports fixed-length record file viewing.

This one should be easy to hack on.

Quote:> 3). Allows toggling between hex and ASCII mode.

Mhm, strange, we actually do this.

Quote:> 5). Multiple file support -- split screens for each file.

Coming in the X version.

Miguel
--

The Midnight Commander: http://stekt.oulu.fi/~jtklehto/mc/

List-like tool for Linux

Post by William Burr » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: No, it means that if you are a Linux (or other unix) user you can be a
: developer too.  If this LIST.COM thing is so great, why don't you guys
: get together and write it?

Well, there is a utility called BEAV that is a hex editor plus.  Took the
wind out of my sails for looking at writing a LIST equivalent and less
works ok for text anyway.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Dave Pearso » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >> Are you saying that because *you* want this utility then someone else out
> >> there in the Linux *should* write it for you?

> Not at all.

> It it is shame that a superior OS doesn't have many of the tools and
> applications that are available elsewhere. My post was not intended as
> a demand that someone "out there" write tools for me. Instead, it was
> intended to show my surprise that such a useful tool doesn't already
> have a counterpart in Linux. (If you haven't used LIST.COM, then you'll
> know that it is quite valuable -- especially for examining fixed-length
> binary files).

Yeah, I used to use LIST under Dos. I still think that if you feel very
suprised that there isn't a version of LIST for Linux (a superior OS as
you call it) then should no not be writing to the author of LIST and
telling him to port it rather than saying in here that it's a shame it's
not been ported? Surely it's a problem for the author of the tool, for the
the users/developers of the operating system?

Quote:> Considering how much easier it is to develop under the Linux environment,
> allied with the surge of programmer's interest in the platform it is
> somewhat astonishing that -- even in the few years that Linux has been
> around -- that utilities such as LIST.COM, SHEZ.EXE (that have been
> around in MS-DOS for almost a decade) haven't *already* been written
> for Linux.

I think that one of the reasons that LIST and SHEZ have not been "ported"
is that nobody needs them. Or, that is, nobody has needed them bad enough
to actualy write a Linux version. I don't know about anyone else bit I'm
starting to hate those "all-in-one" solutions like shez and stuff like
that, give me a good command line with good pipes, a set of tools and
a shell script....

Still, if you miss the likes of LIST and SHEZ why don't you check out the
likes of Midnight Commander? And perhaps write to the authors of Shez and
ask them to port it to Linux.

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Post by Steffen Offerma » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

03 Jan 96 22:03, David L. Johnson wrote to All:

 DLJ> Stupid question:  What does LIST.COM do?  I bet its functionality
 DLJ> is already available.

Of course it is: Take vi or less, for example ;-)

Tschuess,
  Steffen

List-like tool for Linux

Post by Anand Thak » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: 03 Jan 96 22:03, David L. Johnson wrote to All:

:  DLJ> Stupid question:  What does LIST.COM do?  I bet its functionality
:  DLJ> is already available.

: Of course it is: Take vi or less, for example ;-)

Well, list is a bit more than just that :)  It's fairly versatile for
it's size.  It makes a great little file manager.

midnight commander is the closest linux approximation of list I can think
of...

Even though I'd like to see list.com ported to linux, I can't say there's
a need for it.  mc is pretty good as well.

--

          |                           __                       |
      ____|         /| /\/ /| /\/ />  / /-/ /| |< /_/ /<       |____

1. alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions list.linux-activists.kernel list.linux-activists.serial list.linux-activists.problem-reports list.linux-activists.question

Problem: 8 Port Serial Card with one IRQ for all Port does not work any longer
=======  with Linux 0.99.13 (worked with 0.99.10)

Hi,

I have a strange Problem with my MOXA 8 Port Serial Card - it used to work
fine with 99.10 - all 8 ports were detected automatically without any changes
to the Kernel.

With PL13 the card is not detected at all. I tried to track down the Problem
and compiled the IRQ (9) into the driver. Now the 16450 Chips are found with
correct Adresses.

Since I am able to send out characters on those 8 tty's - but not to *receive*
any, I assume that the problem is with the Linux Interrupt Handler.

Could somebody give me a hint or explain to me what has changed to IRQ
handling since PL10 ?

Thanks in Advance,
Frieder

--
Frieder Loeffler (DG1SEK), Allmandring 20c03, 70569 Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
                   Phone (voice): 0711-6770638, 07145-7455 (Q)

2. Kickstart Installation

3. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

4. g_NCR5380.o module removal bug

5. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

6. gimmick

7. Intel Likes the Napster Way..Oh, and also Linux

8. NIS client on SCO OSR5

9. Apparently the BBC likes Linux

10. IT likes Linux at work

11. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

12. Cheap PCI enet card that Linux likes?

13. Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?