LILO problem with large IDE disk

Post by Cyrille Arth » Sun, 21 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a dual boot Linux/NT system; so far, it worked with no problem. I
had two IDE disks and one SCSI disk. The latter contains the Linux root
file system (including /boot) and Kernel. I booted from the IDE MBR. NT
is on /dev/hda1.

I now added a large (40 GB) IDE disk. LILO now stops at "LI". If I
disable the hard disk in the BIOS, it works again.

I changed the setup so the system boots from the SCSI disk. This works,
although I cannot boot the NT partition anymore; LILO does not find the
NT boot loader. I had to specify "disk=/dev/sca\nbios=0x80" to make it
work.
LILO prints no warnings, though, when I re-install it on the MBR with
the third HD enabled, and still cannot boot.

It is documented as a "known bug" that LILO can get confused with large
IDE harddisks. I tried "linear" and "lba32" (with the new LILO), to no
avail. Does anybody know how I can make the boot loader work?
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://www.veryComputer.com/+41 - [0]1 - 313 08 92

1. Lilo - problem with large IDE disk

Help!

I have problem with getting Lilo to work properly with
my new 4.2GB IDE harddisk & a Intel Pentium II motherboard with
LX chipset. (Linux is installed on part /dev/hdd4.)

It just print 01 01 all over the screen. I have read
the lilo README file but its does not take me any further.

Do anyone have a suggestion how to fix this?

//Thanks Chris

2. List of apps for Linux ?

3. LILO and large IDE hard disks

4. Help: Netscape crashes Xsun (CDE)

5. Large IDE disks & LILO/linux...

6. tin newsreader & telnet clients (windows)

7. HELP! LILO and large IDE disks...

8. Drivers for OpticPro 4800P flatbed scanner?

9. LILO and large IDE disk

10. HELP! LILO and large IDE disks...

11. LILO on large IDE drive problem #2

12. 2nd problem with a large IDE drive(maybe not the cause though) & LILO