Problem Booting Linux

Post by John Mark Emer » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Rebooted my Linux machine yesterday and it wouldn't reboot!  After the
SCSI card finds it's devices (it finds the device the / partition lives
on) the machine just hangs for a while and gives me an "unable to find
boot device (or something like that)" message.  It boots fine with a
kernel boot disk.  I can't get the machine to boot off of the HD anymore
though.  I'm running Slackware with kernel version 2.0.34.  The machine
is a Dell Optiplex GXi.  It's using an adaptec 2940 UW SCSI card, the
Drive is a 1gb DEC SCSI 2.

After rebooting with the boot disk, I reran lilo.  That didn't work.  I
reran liloconfig.  That didn't work.  I ran fdisk and toggled the
bootable flag on the / partition on...reran liloconfig.  Nothing seems
to work anymore.  It booted fine from the HD last week.  Would running
fsck on the / device help?

I could live with booting from the floppy disk if I wasn't having a
memory problem.  When I set up the machine, I had to add a line in the
/etc/lilo.conf file (append="mem=128M") 'cuz the machine has 128 MB of
memory and LINUX doesn't recognize that much memory on its own.  When I
boot with the floppy I'm back to seeing only 14MB of total real memory.
Is there a way to make the boot floppy use the /etc/lilo.conf file?  Or
to copy it to the boot floppy?

Any advice?  Thanks for your time.  Please email me with any responses
if possible.

--
John Emery
System Administrator

Sue Mills, Inc.
1840 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
415-864-1899 X146

1. Problems Booting Linux From Windows NT Boot Menu

Hi all,

I've read the FAQS and HOWTOs and the relevant postings to this group, but I
still can't get my Red Hat Linux 4.1 to boot using the NT boot loader. As
things stand I can only boot Linux from the LILO prompt which comes up when
booting my PC, not from the option that I've added to NT's boot loader using
the BootPart program. If I try I get a "system not found" type error. The
output below is from BootPart to show how my disk is organised (the
asterisks indicate bootable partitions):

0 : C:* type=6  (BIGDOS Fat16), size = 102784 KB
1 : C:  type=5  (Extended), size = 1149120 KB
2 : C:  type=1   (DOS Fat12), size = 1984 KB
3 : C:  type=5   (Extended), size = 82656 KB
4 : C:  type=82    (Linux swap), size = 82624 KB
5 : C:  type=5    (Extended), size = 425376 KB
6 : C:* type=83     (Linux native), size = 425344 KB
7 : C:  type=5     (Extended), size = 639072 KB
8 : C:  type=7      (HPFS/NTFS), size = 639040 KB

I used Linux fdisk to make my Linux partition bootable, then added Linux to
NT's boot.ini file with "BootPart 6 c:\bootsect.lnx Linux 4.1". Here's my
boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=8
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux 4.1"
C:\="Windows 95"

Then I edited lilo.conf as shown below:

boot=/dev/hda7
#map=/boot/map
#install=/boot/boot.b
compact
prompt
root=current
timeout=30
append="reboot=warm"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    read-only
other=/dev/hda1
    label=Windows
    table=/dev/hda

(I commented out the map and install lines from the original installation).
Then I ran LILO to write the information to disk. Do I need to uninstall the
original LILO from my DOS boot sector? I didn't want to do this in case it
means that I can't access Linux. If anyone could shed any light on what it
is that's going wrong I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,

John.

2. Java

3. Problems booting linux from OS/2 boot manager

4. Digital Certificate Expiration Utility

5. problem booting linux 1.3.46 and 1.3.47, and CD problem

6. kde221 roswell RPMs O.K. for Redhat 7.2?

7. Student having a problem booting Linux Red Hat 7.0 Please Help

8. php problem or apache problem?

9. problem booting linux

10. HELP ! Problem booting Linux with a diskette

11. Problem booting Linux from Second IDE Hard Disk

12. problems booting linux-m68k

13. Problem booting Linux from DOS