ISA AWE64 blasts!! during boot.

Post by otakesh.. » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

        I have an isa pnp AWE64 value installed in a system with Debian 2.1 and
RedHat 6.0. Once in a while during the boot of the Debian/Linux the
speakers make a loud blast! This is annoying. I couldn't determine the
exact time of the booting that I have this problem but I believe that it
could be when I modprob midi in one of my init.d files.
        I'm using isapnp to load SB and RedHat does not have this problem. Does
anyone have similar experience?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Mykoo » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>         I have an isa pnp AWE64 value installed in a system with Debian 2.1 and
> RedHat 6.0. Once in a while during the boot of the Debian/Linux the
> speakers make a loud blast! This is annoying. I couldn't determine the
> exact time of the booting that I have this problem but I believe that it
> could be when I modprob midi in one of my init.d files.
>         I'm using isapnp to load SB and RedHat does not have this problem. Does
> anyone have similar experience?

I have the exact same problem.  It occurs when the sound module is
loaded.
The only thing that I could think of is that the volume on my speakers
is
too high.  I have my computer sound running through a stereo in my room
and I keep the stereo volume loud ;) but keep the mixer volume
reasonable.
If anyone has a theory as to why this happens, or better yet a solution,
please share it.  Thanks.

--
Michael Barnhill

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte294f
ICQ 13526262

ISA AWE64 blasts!! during boot.

Post by Zeger Hendriks » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> RedHat 6.0. Once in a while during the boot of the Debian/Linux the
> speakers make a loud blast! This is annoying. I couldn't determine the
> exact time of the booting that I have this problem but I believe that it
> could be when I modprob midi in one of my init.d files.
>         I'm using isapnp to load SB and RedHat does not have this problem. Does
> anyone have similar experience?

I had this problem as well.
I think it is caused by inserting the sound modules using insmod (at
boot time). I replaced the insmod command by modprobe sb, and added some
lines to my /etc/conf.modules, so that my modules are only loaded when
needed automagically. If necessary, I can look up the related
conf.modules entries at home and post them here. Now I do not have this
annoying blast (which can be _very_ loud) anymore.

Kind regards,

Zeger.

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I have the exact same problem.  It occurs when the sound module is
>loaded.

I run the AWE64 ISA PnPray card, but don't have that problem.

I installed it via the instructions contained within
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/AWE32

Haven't had a single problem. (Except trying to balance my Line, CD, and
Wave volumes - my WAV is much quieter than my radio card (line in), so after
listening to MP3's I have to remember to turn down the volume before switching
on the radio card otherwise I'll be blasted out of my chair. One day I'll hit
the right settings in the mixer :> ).

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Post by otakesh.. » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > RedHat 6.0. Once in a while during the boot of the Debian/Linux the
> > speakers make a loud blast! This is annoying. I couldn't determine
the
> > exact time of the booting that I have this problem but I believe
that it
> > could be when I modprob midi in one of my init.d files.
> >         I'm using isapnp to load SB and RedHat does not have this
problem. Does
> > anyone have similar experience?

> I had this problem as well.
> I think it is caused by inserting the sound modules using insmod (at
> boot time). I replaced the insmod command by modprobe sb, and added
some
> lines to my /etc/conf.modules, so that my modules are only loaded when
> needed automagically. If necessary, I can look up the related
> conf.modules entries at home and post them here. Now I do not have
this
> annoying blast (which can be _very_ loud) anymore.

> Kind regards,

> Zeger.

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I'm going to accept your gentle offer.
Yesterday I've tried to repeat the experience to check when the card is
blasting. It is not always like this, but it happens when I reboot to
Debian 2.1 and it modprobes midi right after I used RedHat 6.0 for a
while. I checked the boot process of RedHat and it seems to load and
save mixer settings at boot time and halt. I don't know if this could be
causing the problem. A second possibility is the init.d script that I
added for loading midi. There I just do a /sbin/modprobe midi but in my
/etc/conf.modules I do a post-install midi that calls sfxload for the
wave tables. How do you load them automagically? Does it load midi
modules just by that time that you call drvmidi for example? For another
reason I decided load midi at boot time is because I was getting some
freezes with X when I loaded midi manually and worked with X for a
while. Now I don't have those freezes but I have the blasts. I wonder if
the freezes have to do with the memory allocation for the DMA of this
ISA card.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

ISA AWE64 blasts!! during boot.

Post by Dave Howlan » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

i've experienced the same problem before, but only with a pair of labtec
speakers, doesn't do it with my cambridge soundworks set. my guess is that
the pop you hear is a bit of data being sent to the soundcard, basically a
probe "are you there?" which the soundcard also interprets as something
it's supposed to output. again, that's just a guess... no idea how to fix
it though...

Dave Howland

RC5-Moo - Hey, 400 KKeys/sec isn't a heck
          of a lot... unless you multiply
          it by 100,000...

          http://www.distributed.net

Post by otakesh.. » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > RedHat 6.0. Once in a while during the boot of the Debian/Linux the
> > speakers make a loud blast! This is annoying. I couldn't determine
the
> > exact time of the booting that I have this problem but I believe
that it
> > could be when I modprob midi in one of my init.d files.
> >         I'm using isapnp to load SB and RedHat does not have this
problem. Does
> > anyone have similar experience?

> I had this problem as well.
> I think it is caused by inserting the sound modules using insmod (at
> boot time). I replaced the insmod command by modprobe sb, and added

some

I was loading midi with modprobe so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Anyhow, I'm using a different approach that may work:

I properly installed the gom package (Debian 2.1). The default seting
will mute all channels of the mixer at boot time before it goes to
runlevel 2 where I load midi with modprobe. You can tell that because
gom will be run after the sound modules are loaded. Right when the sound
modules are loaded you can hear a very low white noise from the
speakers. This is gone when gom initializes the sound levels of the
mixer to mute. I think it should then be safe to load midi without the
blast. We can then at login time set our mixer desired levels using
.bash_login. I haven't tested this configuration thoroughly yet but I
think it is going to work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

ISA AWE64 blasts!! during boot.

Post by Zeger Hendriks » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> runlevel 2 where I load midi with modprobe. You can tell that because
> gom will be run after the sound modules are loaded. Right when the sound
> modules are loaded you can hear a very low white noise from the
> speakers. This is gone when gom initializes the sound levels of the
> mixer to mute. I think it should then be safe to load midi without the
> blast. We can then at login time set our mixer desired levels using
> .bash_login. I haven't tested this configuration thoroughly yet but I
> think it is going to work.

In my /etc/conf.modules I do a post install of the volume program, with
a very low volume, just after loading the sound modules (modprobe sb).
Indeed, you sometimes hear a very faint white noise from the speakers,
which is very innocent. I think it is basically the same procedure as
you have proposed above.

Kind regards,

Zeger Hendrikse.

Post by otakesh.. » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > runlevel 2 where I load midi with modprobe. You can tell that
because
> > gom will be run after the sound modules are loaded. Right when the
sound
> > modules are loaded you can hear a very low white noise from the
> > speakers. This is gone when gom initializes the sound levels of the
> > mixer to mute. I think it should then be safe to load midi without
the
> > blast. We can then at login time set our mixer desired levels using
> > .bash_login. I haven't tested this configuration thoroughly yet but
> > think it is going to work.

> In my /etc/conf.modules I do a post install of the volume program,
with
> a very low volume, just after loading the sound modules (modprobe sb).
> Indeed, you sometimes hear a very faint white noise from the speakers,
> which is very innocent. I think it is basically the same procedure as
> you have proposed above.

> Kind regards,

> Zeger Hendrikse.

Yes, it is essentially the same. The order that we do things are equal
(load sound module, adjust mixer setting, and then load midi module)
just the procedure that is different. It is working fine for me now,
thanks. Anyway, this may mean a bug in the awe64 midi module. What is
the linux distribution that you have? I have 2, the problem was with
Debian 2.1, which I use all the time. RedHat 6.0 apparently doesn't have
the problem but I don't use it often.

Best regards,

Post by Michael Wittm » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Yes, it is essentially the same. The order that we do things are equal
>(load sound module, adjust mixer setting, and then load midi module)
>just the procedure that is different. It is working fine for me now,
>thanks. Anyway, this may mean a bug in the awe64 midi module. What is
>the linux distribution that you have? I have 2, the problem was with
>Debian 2.1, which I use all the time. RedHat 6.0 apparently doesn't have
>the problem but I don't use it often.

My Redhat 6.0 does indeed have this problem.  I'm using kernel 2.2.10
and I get the loud blast of white noise in about one in five boots.
Hopefully the fix you guys came up with will work for me as well; my
girlfriend has been bugging me to fix it for quite a while now. :)

-Mike

Post by otakesh.. » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> >Yes, it is essentially the same. The order that we do things are
equal
> >(load sound module, adjust mixer setting, and then load midi module)
> >just the procedure that is different. It is working fine for me now,
> >thanks. Anyway, this may mean a bug in the awe64 midi module. What is
> >the linux distribution that you have? I have 2, the problem was with
> >Debian 2.1, which I use all the time. RedHat 6.0 apparently doesn't
have
> >the problem but I don't use it often.

> My Redhat 6.0 does indeed have this problem.  I'm using kernel 2.2.10
> and I get the loud blast of white noise in about one in five boots.
> Hopefully the fix you guys came up with will work for me as well; my
> girlfriend has been bugging me to fix it for quite a while now. :)

> -Mike

Hopefully the guidelines that we gave are enough for you to fix it.
Otherwise I can give you more details. My wife demanded me to fix it
quickly. Noise Baster woke up our baby during my night boots ;)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Midi with SB AWE64 ISA ?

Hello,

Did someone success to have midi played with SB AWE64 ISA and kernel
2.2.1?
I used isapnp and I can play wav files, but not midi.

Please, replay also by email.
Thanks.

Vardan Akopian
University of Southern California
Department of Mathematics
1042 W. 36th Place, DRB 207
Los Angeles, CA 90089-1113

2. ftpd's

3. about SB AWE64 ISA

4. Mounting DOS in Linux

5. AWE64 ISA ---> MIDI

6. Q: Bootin Linux from IDE disk (cylinders > 1023)

7. Help: installed AWE64 isa, now 3c900b won;t work

8. samba and smbmount

9. Midi with SB AWE64 ISA: detailed

10. SB AWE64 ISA PnP & kernel 2.2.12

11. Slackware 8.0 and AWE64 isa soundcard

12. SB AWE64 ISA PnP & kernel 2.2.12

13. SB AWE64 ISA PNP