WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

Post by James H Timberlake II » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i recently installed redhat 5.2.  in a previous version of redhat i was
able to get windowmaker working properly (i think it was 4.x).  i built
and installed libPropList first, then installed the data tarball, and
finally built and installed the wm tarball.  i ran wmaker.inst and
everything seemed to work, but when i go into X windows, i'm in fwvm95.
is there something i'm missing?  please help.

Post by Hans Wolte » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:i recently installed redhat 5.2.  in a previous version of redhat i was
:able to get windowmaker working properly (i think it was 4.x).  i built
:and installed libPropList first, then installed the data tarball, and
:finally built and installed the wm tarball.  i ran wmaker.inst and
:everything seemed to work, but when i go into X windows, i'm in fwvm95.
:is there something i'm missing?  please help.

Looks like your ~/xinitrc is pointing to fwvm95. If so then change it to:

exec wmaker

Regards Hans
--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

Post by James H Timberlake II » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> :i recently installed redhat 5.2.  in a previous version of redhat i was
> :able to get windowmaker working properly (i think it was 4.x).  i built
> :and installed libPropList first, then installed the data tarball, and
> :finally built and installed the wm tarball.  i ran wmaker.inst and
> :everything seemed to work, but when i go into X windows, i'm in fwvm95.
> :is there something i'm missing?  please help.

> Looks like your ~/xinitrc is pointing to fwvm95. If so then change it to:

> exec wmaker

> Regards Hans
> --
>         Java Search Engine Front End
>     http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/
>      Linux Links/CMI8330 Soundpro HOWTO
> http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/linux.htm

i just noticed that when i exit X windows, there is a message saying
that windowmaker couldn't execute because either the path
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker or /usr/share/WindowMaker doesn't exist.  what
would cause this?  i followed the installation instructions to the word
(as far as i know).  am i forgetting something?  what are the proper
steps, just in case i'm not reading it right.
thanks

WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

Post by xcit » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On 16 Feb 1999 23:23:34 GMT,
Hans Wolters wrote

  >:i recently installed redhat 5.2.  in a previous version of redhat i was
  >:able to get windowmaker working properly (i think it was 4.x).  i built
  >:and installed libPropList first, then installed the data tarball, and
  >:finally built and installed the wm tarball.  i ran wmaker.inst and
  >:everything seemed to work, but when i go into X windows, i'm in fwvm95.
  >:is there something i'm missing?  please help.
  >
  >Looks like your ~/xinitrc is pointing to fwvm95. If so then change it to:
  >
  >exec wmaker

Or mebbe your ~/.wm_style is not set up right, ie, contains WindowMaker?

--
Thank goodness modern convenience is a thing of the remote future.
                -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

:>

:
:i just noticed that when i exit X windows, there is a message saying
:that windowmaker couldn't execute because either the path
:/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker or /usr/share/WindowMaker doesn't exist.  what
:would cause this?  i followed the installation instructions to the word
:(as far as i know).  am i forgetting something?  what are the proper
:steps, just in case i'm not reading it right.
:thanks

I don't know which version you are using but I do remember that when I first
used it a couple of months ago I had to change something in my path
statement. You could check to see if wmaker is located in the /usr/local/bin
and then check if your path includes this dir.

Hans
--

Post by Stephen Kingst » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>On 16 Feb 1999 23:23:34 GMT,
>Hans Wolters wrote

>  >:i recently installed redhat 5.2.  in a previous version of redhat i was
>  >:able to get windowmaker working properly (i think it was 4.x).  i built
>  >:and installed libPropList first, then installed the data tarball, and
>  >:finally built and installed the wm tarball.  i ran wmaker.inst and
>  >:everything seemed to work, but when i go into X windows, i'm in fwvm95.
>  >:is there something i'm missing?  please help.

>  >Looks like your ~/xinitrc is pointing to fwvm95. If so then change it to:

>  >exec wmaker

>Or mebbe your ~/.wm_style is not set up right, ie, contains WindowMaker?

I just had this problem recently. Redhat 5.2 has a default XClient
that calls a script called RunWM which then proceeds to start the
required window manager. If it cannot find the WM it starts fvwm95 by
default or fvwm if that fails.

The problem is that the RunWM script seems to look for wmaker in
/usr/X11R6/bin. A normal window maker install will be in
/usr/local/bin  or /usr/bin so the solution is a soft link to the
wmaker executable.

You will indeed need to have .wm_style set to WindowMaker (or some
allowed variant of this).

HTH
  Stephen

WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

Post by Stephen Kingst » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>i just noticed that when i exit X windows, there is a message saying
>that windowmaker couldn't execute because either the path
>/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker or /usr/share/WindowMaker doesn't exist.  what
>would cause this?  i followed the installation instructions to the word
>(as far as i know).  am i forgetting something?  what are the proper
>steps, just in case i'm not reading it right.
>thanks

I thought I posted this reply before but it seems to have got lost in
the ether...

Redhat 5.2 installs a default XClient that passes the value of your
wm_style to another script called RunWM. This script then attempts to
launch your choice of window manager, but if it fails it defaults
first to fvwm95, and then if that fails it tries fvwm.

For some reason, RunWM looks for wmaker (the WindowMaker executable)
in /usr/X11R6/bin. If you install the binary RPM the file will be in
/usr/bin, and if you compile your own version of WindowMaker then the
file will be in /usr/local/bin.

The solution is to create a symbolic link in /usr/X11R6/bin to the
executable (wherever it may be!)

I recommend compilation of WindowMaker, as I ran into a problem when I
tried the RPM version with the setstyle and getstyle executables (they
were linked against the wrong libraries or with the wrong compiler in
Redhat). I downloaded the source distribution, followed the
instructions in the README and it compiled first time and worked.

(There are other hints in the README about including /usr/local/bin in
your path and such like).

Regards,
  Stephen.

--
Stephen Kingston
Personal URL : http://www.aber.ac.uk/~spk

1. Redhat 5.2 Windowmaker .51 LibPropList Problem

recently did a clean install of Redhat 5.2  Thought to myself I need to get
X up and running so I decided to install Windowmaker .51 -- aparently It now
requires LibPropList, so I said okay.  So I am trying to install LibPropList
& I keep getting this error.

In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:34,

from daemon.c:8:

/usr/include/socketbits.h:231: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:268,

from daemon.c:15:

/usr/include/sigcontext.h:26: asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /usr/include/errnos.h:24,

from /usr/include/errno.h:36,

from daemon.c:16:

/usr/include/linux/errno.h:4: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory

make: *** [daemon.lo] Error 1

Any ideas? -- I have been told that my problem is that I don't have
glibc-dev installed, but I double checked and that is installed.

Scott

2. Rebuilding NIS+ from files

3. Redhat 5.2 networking with windows and mac os8.51?

4. FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD

5. PLEASE HELP!! WindowMaker .51 Install Problems

6. I2C driver

7. solaris exam dumps

8. net-tools-1.51 RPM and SRPM for Red Hat 5.2 available

9. WindowMaker .51

10. Redhat 5.2 & WindowMaker 0.51

11. Windowmaker Upgrade -RH 5.2 problems

12. Problem installing WindowMaker 0.50.2 on RH 5.2