X artifacts after X is shutdown?

Post by Michael Prot » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm currently running Redhat 5.1 with XFree86-3.3.2. I recently upgraded
to XFree86-3.3.3.1 using RPMs from Redhat's ftp site. Since I've
upgraded, I have a problem where X leaves little white artifacts on the
screen when its shutdown and returns to the console. These white
"blotches" appear in random places throughout the screen each time,
usually 2cm long and 4cm tall. It doesn't happen all of the time;
usually happens after X has been running for over 15 minutes. If I
restart X, then immediately close it again, it disappears.

I'm using a Matrox Mystique 170MHZ PCI video card with 2MB RAM. I ran
XF86Setup after installing the new version of X, and selected all
appropriate information (PS2 mouse, Mystique card, correct monitor
resolution and color depth-- 1024x768x16bpp). I was running this same
setup with X 3.3.2. I've checked the Matrox documentation from
xfree86.org, as well as the general documentation, but I cannot find any
reference to this problem. If anyone has or had a similar experience,
please let me know. Thanks!

Mike
--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] MCP: Win95 [-

X artifacts after X is shutdown?

Post by Howar » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

a little unrelated - but I had a similar problem with a Mystique many moons
ago - after 20 mins or so pixels would disapear or be mis-displayed.

After testing in another machine we decided that it was a video memory
fault.
Replaced the card under warranty - no problems

Hope this helps

Post by Sebastian Clausse » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm currently running Redhat 5.1 with XFree86-3.3.2. I recently upgraded
> to XFree86-3.3.3.1 using RPMs from Redhat's ftp site. Since I've
> upgraded, I have a problem where X leaves little white artifacts on the
> screen when its shutdown and returns to the console. These white
> "blotches" appear in random places throughout the screen each time,
> usually 2cm long and 4cm tall. It doesn't happen all of the time;
> usually happens after X has been running for over 15 minutes. If I
> restart X, then immediately close it again, it disappears.

I have the same "blotches" using XFree86.3.3.1, Matrox Mystique 220 (4MB) and
(1600x1200 virtual) 1024x768 Res 16b, to me the position of the "blotches"
seems to be connected with the position of the mouse pointer before the
x-server shuts down.
But since I have to _work_ with my computer I don't have time to download stuff
and look for tiny hidden readme-files that might help ;-)
Sebastian
--
http://www.rhw.uni-muenster.de/~claussen/
ICQ 12955882

Post by Michael Prot » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have the same "blotches" using XFree86.3.3.1, Matrox Mystique 220 (4MB) and
> (1600x1200 virtual) 1024x768 Res 16b, to me the position of the "blotches"
> seems to be connected with the position of the mouse pointer before the
> x-server shuts down.
> But since I have to _work_ with my computer I don't have time to download stuff
> and look for tiny hidden readme-files that might help ;-)
> Sebastian
> --
> http://www.rhw.uni-muenster.de/~claussen/
> ICQ 12955882

Actually, I think I may have fixed the problem. Just after my post, I
reread the XFree86 Matrox driver release notes & known bugs again. It
listed various bugs related to the hardware support for the mouse
cursor. I also thought that the mouse cursor was somehow related to the
console disturbances, so I entered the command to disable the hardware
cursor support.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config:
In Section "Device", add:

Option "sw_cursor"

I haven't seen the problem since. Its only been one day, but it has
worked so far.

--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] MCP: Win95 [-
-] Happy Linux user since 1997 [-
ERROR: REALITY.SYS Corrupted! Reboot universe? (Y/n)

1. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

Since I did the Y2K patch for Solaris 2.5 on a Ultra Sparc 1 system,
Informix 7.22 refuses to startup properly.
Anyone experienced a simular problem? Any suggestions?
Attached some system information and the relevant part of the online.log

Has van der Krieken.

# uname -a
SunOS sungemms 5.5 Generic_103093-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
# su - informix
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995
$ onstat -V
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.22.UC2   Software Serial Number AAA#J917741
$ cat online.log

Mon Dec 27 16:09:48 1999

16:09:48  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG = '/informix/etc/no_log.sh'
16:09:48  DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off)
16:09:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
16:09:49  Logical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52574804: out of shared memory, check
system
 SHMALL
16:09:49  out of virtual shared memory

16:09:49  Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation

                Thread(13, bld_logrecs, d039530, 1)
16:09:49   Results: OnLine must abort
16:09:49   Action: Reinitialize shared memory
16:09:49   See Also: /var/tmp/af.d813d
16:09:49  rsinit.c, line 9932, thread 13, proc id 20737, Segmentation
Violation.
16:09:49    PANIC: Attempting to bring system down

2. modeller

3. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

4. R40 versus S70A

5. Shutdown problems...am I doing it right?

6. Where can I get the ICMP patch?

7. I am looking Panic Shutdown list

8. FS: LAPTOP 100Mhz Pentium

9. Help! Debian X screen artifacts on S3

10. LinuxPPC2K X video artifact problem

11. red artifacts on black windows

12. Baffling X artifact Problem

13. Orphan user ID artifact