Linux read Joliet CDROM format?

Post by Matthew L Creec » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Check out the kernel source - the latest kernel includes CONFIG_JOLIET
which enables support for MS Joliet CD-ROM extensions.  So in short yes,
just compile it in if it's not already.  :)

--
Matthew L. Creech

Post by Roger Ehrlich - CSCP/F19 » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:43:17

Hi

Will Linux read CDROM's in Joliet CD file format? I wish to burn a CD w/ Adaptec EZCD Creator in Win98,
my only file format choices are either Joliet or ISO9660. I know ISO9660 is compatible but I wish to keep long
file names, and Rock Ridge is not an available option.

Thx, Roger

Linux read Joliet CDROM format?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:29:18

Quote:>Will Linux read CDROM's in Joliet CD file format? I wish to burn a CD
>w/ Adaptec EZCD Creator in Win98, my only file format choices are
>either Joliet or ISO9660. I know ISO9660 is compatible but I wish to
>keep long file names, and Rock Ridge is not an available option.

Linux has been able to read Joliet extensions for quite a while now.
What made you think that it couldn't?  It's possible to add Joliet
extensions to an ISO9660 image with the -J option to mkisofs, and
mkisofs will even let you create an image with both Joliet and Rockridge
extensions if you pass it the -J and -r options.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

1. Reading Joliet format filenames on a CD-R in linux

MY roommate and I recently purchased a hp 6020i drive to burn our
collection of MPEGS.  We wrote the drive on an NT 4 box using easy-cd
pro in the joliet filesystem, and we cannot get linux to read the long
filenames, just the dos 8.3 crap.  However, discs that we have burned in
the Romeo fs will read properly in linux, but won't read under NT.  Are
there any kernel patches or extra drivers available that will allow the
proper viewing of joliet format file-names, or are we cursed with 8.3
when we use the disc on the linux box?

Thanx,
Geoff Davis.

2. Fun with traceroute, or why do we not???

3. Does linux yet read Iso9600 Joliet formats???

4. PLIP installation of RH 5.0

5. Reading Joliet formatted CDs on Solaris 2.6?

6. Installing Via Crossover Cable Connection (Semi-Newbie)

7. Read Macintosh format cdrom from SunOS cdrom drive?

8. Send 20 FREE Pages of Fax to any Fax machines in the World!

9. Help, How to read a MAC format CDROM under PC Linux

10. Joliet CDROM support under linux ?

11. [Q} Joliet CDROM on Linux?

12. How to read an Apple formatted cdrom

13. Solaris7 and MS Joliet file format on CD