Unable to mount hpfs

Post by Himanshu Roy Pot » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to mount an NT partition (os/2 hpfs) from linux-2.0.36 with
hpfs kernel support built in.
When I type
mount -t hpfs /dev/hda1 /hpfs
it complains
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
              or too many mounted file systems

Is there a way I can mount my NT file system?

Himanshu

Unable to mount hpfs

Post by DaZZ » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to mount an NT partition (os/2 hpfs) from linux-2.0.36 with
> hpfs kernel support built in.
> When I type
> mount -t hpfs /dev/hda1 /hpfs
> it complains
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>               or too many mounted file systems

> Is there a way I can mount my NT file system?

Despite Linux's fdisk advertising that NT partitions are HPFS, they are
not.

NT partitions are NTFS - a completely different format, although the
partition signature is the same as HPFS {which is why they get reported as
HPFS by fdisk}.

AFAIK, mounting NTFS partitions is not possible under the 2.0.36 kernel
without

A) Upgrading to 2.x or

B) Applying a patch of some sort and recompiling.

I believe the NTFS support for 2.0.36 is read only, as it is for 2.x
unless you use the {experimental} write drivers.

DaZZa

1. Unable to mount hpfs

An NT partition is _not_ hpfs -- RedHat's Disk Druid (and others I'm
sure) just think it is.  It is actually NTFS.  The 2.0 series of kernels
does not support NTFS.  Read-only support is included in the 2.2 series.
I've got it up and running in 2.2.3 now.  However, I can't get it to
compile in 2.2.5.  I get an Error 2:

dir.c: In function `ntfs_push':
dir.c:70: warning: integer constant out of range

Has anyone got this to compile under 2.2.5?

--
------------------------------------
Joshua Baker-LePain

2. Newbie questions about Gnome

3. Unable to write to hpfs partitions

4. Anyone using OSF/1 on their Sun box?

5. Unable to boot Linux from disk (VFS:Unable to mount root)

6. How to extend the validity of XFree86 3.1.2G

7. HPFS: hpfs_read_super: Not HPFS, kernel panic

8. dmesg and timestamp?

9. Mounting Cdroms in SunOS 4.14 - error unable to mount hsfs

10. How to mount an OS/2 hpfs partition????

11. Mounting HPFS drive

12. How to mount HPFS drive??

13. How to mount OS/2's hpfs filesystem???