dip+slirp problem

Post by Dr Paul Kinsl » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm tring to use slirp to set up a connection over the phone from one of
my linux machines to another (both Slackware).  In the past I've
connected them together using both SLIP over a serial cable, and PLIP
over parallel.

I have slirp-1.0c on the remote machine; and dip-3.3.7n-inaky on my local
machine.  I've read the slirp and dip docs, and the
alt.dcom.slip-emulators.FAQ; and even followed all the instructions (I
think).

My dip script dials up ok, logs in, and runs slirp.  However, the (dip)
command "default" doesn't set up the route to the remote machine, so
since I haven't worked out why this is yet I (by hand) run /sbin/ifconfig
to set up a pointopoint connection on sl0 to the remote machine (slirp ip
10.0.2.2); then add in the route (/sbin/route add ...) to it (and then
define 10.0.2.2 as my default gateway).

However, if on my local machine I telnet 10.0.2.2 (the 'ip' of the remote
machine under slirp), I get

  Trying 10.0.2.2
  Connected to 10.0.2.2
  Escape character is '^]'.

but then it hangs and after ten seconds or so says that the remote
machine has closed the connection.  Similar things happen for the other
addresses too, although some hang without closing (I forget which,
and I forgot to bring my notes in today :-/).

A while back someone sugested the slirp "control address" of
10.0.2.0 might be confusing linux (because of the trailing 0),
so I've tried it with "#define CTL_CMD        10" in ctl.h
and recompling, with no change in results.

It's clearly almost working, because the remote machine starts to reply
(I can see this with "netstat -t" too). Any ideas on making it work
properly?

---------------------------------+---------------------------------
Dr. Paul Kinsler
Institute of Microwaves and Photonics
School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT                  (fax)+44-113-2332032

WEB: http://www.elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk/staff/eenpk/P.Kinsler.html

1. Problem with SLiRP and FTP via DIP in Linux...

Hi there...I'm having a problem with networking in Linux...

I'm following the instructions in the SLiRP + DIP + CSLIP mini-HOWTO
to the letter, to use my shell account with SLiRP to fake a SLIP
connection with my Linux system. When this connection is made, on my
system (running Slackware '96, for those of you scoring at home), I
can use telnet, and I can use various Web browsers, so http is okay...

However, when I try to FTP somewhere that _should_ work (my own shell
account, where my WWW site's directory is), I make the connection, and
I can change directories okay...but when I try to execute "ls" "dir"
"get" or "put" (and there are probably others), I get the following
response (taken from running FTP with the -d argument invoked):

--> PORT 192,168,1,100,4,8
500 Illegal PORT Command
ftp: bind: Address already in use

Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I honestly can't exactly
remember, but I'm pretty sure (no, take that back, VERY sure) that FTP
worked okay when I was running the Slackware 3.0 distrubution...so I
really don't have any idea why it wouldn't be working now...

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated...

         Practically Everywhere Else: Fred Smythe
  IRC Nick: FredSmyth    WWW:http://redshift.com/~clemon
- DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS TO THIS ADDRESS -

2. IOMEGA Ditto parallel port 3.2GB drive, supported?

3. Problem with SLiRP+DIP+FTP...

4. Having PPP without login first

5. SLiRP+DIP+FTP=Problems! (UPDATE)

6. MASQURADED PORTS

7. Dip and SLiRP. Problem with routing??

8. ip_masq_irc and DCC SEND

9. Problem with dip + slirp

10. PPP+SLiRP OK but CSLIP+SLiRP has display problem

11. slip slirp dip HELP

12. dip scripts and SLIRP

13. DIP and SLiRP?